Hi all, I have converted my tr4 to an alternator and I have used the appropriate plug in wiring. I now have 2 wires, a large yellow and brown and a small green and brown redundant, do I just tape these up or can they be used for something else ?

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

have you got a decent wiring diagram for both the unmodified TR4 dynamo and the Alternator version (TR6 etc)

NY - brown/ yellow goes from the Alt  to the ignition light

It looks like the NG is the unregulated dynamo going into the Control box ------     and then coming out as the  NW brown/white (regulated) to the ammeter/battery.

So connect the NW and NG (I think)

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Roger

I think the two 'spare' wires you are referring to are those which run from the control box to the dynamo. What you do with them now rather depends on what you did with the control box itself. They play no part with an alternator and probably should be taped up in case you ever want to revert, but it's a good idea to disconnect them at both ends.  The dynamo control box should not be connected any more if intact,  though some use it without innards as a convenient interconnection point for the new alternator wiring.

Hi all , thanks for the replies,

The plug in has a alternator plug on one end with a large and a small brown wire and a small yellow and brown, at the other end the 2 browns are connected to a copper washer and I have connected these to the battery side of the solenoid, the small yellow and brown I have connected to the small yellow and brown by the old control box. I have used the control box as a cable junction as per diagrams posted on this site. I did assume that the 2 "spare" wires were for the old alternator just by their location on the new loom (I didn't take the car apart )

I do have a wiring diagram for the TR4 and TR4a  Rodger, but from your post it seems I will get some more info from the TR6 diagram. I will obtain one asap. 

Once again, thanks for the replies always a great help

Regards

The way you have wired it your ammeter will never show any charge - only discharge.

The two brown wires from the alternator would ideally connect to the non battery side of the ammeter, i.e. onto the brown / white wire formerly on the "A" terminal of the old regulator, and also to the Brown / Blue wire formerly on the "A1" terminal of the regulator.  The thin brown / yellow wire from the alternator should connect to the thin brown / yellow wire formerly on "D" of the regulator.

The old thick brown / yellow & thin brown / green wires can be taped off, or cut back.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Have a look at my article in Section J4 of the Technicalities CD, and the article which James Christie and I published in TR Action 248 (March 2011).

If you don't have access to these articles, send me a PM giving me your personal email, and I'll send you MS Word versions.

Ian Cornish