TR4A Exhaust – Twin or single?

I currently have twin exhaust pipes on my TR4A, however, during my journey to Chinon for the Classic Car event last weekend, the baffle in one of my backboxes started to rattle and when the car decelerated from 60mph the drumming noise from the exhaust was very loud. 

I’m not too keen on the twin tail pipes and would like to put the car back to a more standard single pipe exhaust which will hopefully give more ground clearance. 

I’d like stainless steel but I’m confused as there seem to be a few different types available. 

Does anyone have any advice where I can get a quality exhaust which is quiet for long motorway journeys but has a nice note when pottering around.  

Sorry if this is an old topic!

Thanks 

Graham 

Hi Graham,

welcome to the forum.

Firstly - it may be a good idea if you change your forum name.  Using your email address could give you problems in the future.

Phoenix exhaust (available from all the big suppliers) do a very nice single pipe system. It comes in both loud(ish) and quiet(ish)

Very easy to fit compared to the dual system.

Moss - https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/exhaust/exhaust-systems/phoenix-big-bore-performance-exhaust-system-tr4a.html

TRShop - https://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

Roger 

Hi Roger

Thanks for the advice re the email address. I have been onto the nice lady at head office and she has ironed out all the problems - I hope.

I have been a member since 2007 - and should be known as Graham-GMR.

Unfortunately, no one knows why I'm still displaying Guest on the first post.

Thanks for your reply

Regards

Graham

Edited by graham-gmr
UPdate

Hi Graham

I use a stainless cross box single left side exit exhaust on my 4a. It does resonate slightly as the material does not absorb sound as much as mild steel, but it is comfortable even on long journeys. Unless it has a label on it I doubt you’d know where it came from, but mine was supplied by Moss.

It does give better clearance as I’ve never grounded it but having said that my brother managed it several times in a matter of days, so depends on driving style also!

Kevin

I have the single pipe single silencer system on my 4a run out of a 4 branch and that has great ground clearance and is a lot quieter than the twin pipe twin silencer system it replaced.

Stuart.

IMG_0009_1200x880 - Copy.jpg

20 minutes ago, Hamish said:

That is a great looking de-bumpered car Stuart 

Funnily enough it now has the bumpers back on it!

Stuart.

I run a SS single system from a standard twin outlet 4A manifold, which is a good design in itself.

I bought a 2 into 1 collector, cut the flange off the old twin exhaust pipes, modified it, welded the flange onto the collector, and went to my local exhaust guy, who made up the single exhaust for me from the collector back.

IMHO....Cheapest and best outcome.

Hi All

Thanks for your replies, however, I have just checked my workshop manual and it shows twin exhausts when I was thinking the original cars must have had a single pipe.

Can anyone enlighten me as what was fitted - single or twin pipes - when the car was new new?

Graham

3 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Graham -  think you will find the twin system was standard - certainly I have access to three very original 4As and they all have the twin exhaust system

cheers

Rich

Oh heck - just when I thought I had made a decision to go single pipe !   :wacko:

TR4A.jpg

Hi Graham,

you are not keen on the twin pipes and they can be a devil to fit and not rattle.

Why do you want the car as standard.?

Rules are meant for breaking :P

Roger

Edited by RogerH
1 hour ago, sadman said:

Mine had the crossbox from new (4A), has now got stainless as original box rotted thro'.

Doug

Thanks Doug

OK - I'm going to be strong, positive and rebel, and put a single pipe on. But still not quite sure!!

Graham

Graham, from launch the 4A had the twin rear silencers with a  'Y' piece. From around July 1966 (approx. CTC 70000 or CT 70000) onwards a single pipe with rear cross box was adopted, this was claimed to be more efficient. My car  was built on 17/10/66 and had the cross box on acquisition in September 1970. I now have a Phoenix extractor manifold and single large bore pipe to a rear silencer. This has a sporty note on acceleration but is not intrusive or wearing when cruising. In the 70s I ran the car for a while with two PECO big twin silencers. It sounded wonderful but unfortunately there was a reverberation period at around 3,000 rpm  which made motorway cruising at the legal limit very unpleasant.

One watch out with the Phoenix manifold, the flange is quite a bit thinner than that of the  inlet manifold so one end of each manifold clamp needs to be built up a bit with some weld or needs packing out so that it pulls up square.

Tim 

DSC01146.JPG

Zircotec coated manifold, fitted.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

HI All

Sorry for my indecision's and dragging this topic on.

After visiting a car show this weekend, my wife 'convinced' me to go for a twin exhaust!!

Can anyone recommend a UK manufacturer who makes a quality standard/quiet Stainless Steel exhaust.

I have spoken to the nice guys at Phoenix but want to check out some alternatives.

Many thanks

Graham

On a different note - I started looking at this topic and wondered why the original poster had chosen a picture of a cross section of a certain type of door rubber or such. :blink:

Then I noticed :D

The only thing that I take my wife's advice on regarding cars is choice of colours.:D

Why Triumph made a small twin system is beyond my comprehension. The 4A manifold was a great design, but the twin exhaust pipes on a 4 cyl car were not..:o

Graham, you mentioned "standard/quiet" exhaust. I would just point out that one person's "not wearing when cruising" or "not too loud" is another person's "I'm shattered" or "don't worry, I'll use ear plugs". Different people's perception of noise is different - especially when it's the manufacturer trying to make a sale! I'm sure everyone's exhaust suits their own taste, but I was mightily relieved when I changed to a "sensible" system on my Spit. I know this doesn't help choose a supplier for your TR! Do you have a local group near you? I'm sure members would be only too delighted to demonstrate their exhaust notes.

Cheers, Richard