confused about exhaust clamps

Guys,

a bit confused on what clamps and fittings to use on my TR2 exhaust set up, especially middle where it is clamped and held on near the gearbox mount,

and the back end support fitting, where Rimmer and Moss they show a couple of different brackets,

any advice would be great.

The TR3 used a clamp/brace combo thing that spans the frame rails with the exhaust in the middle. Horrid thing. The TR4 used a simpler bracket that hangs from the rear gearbox mount, much better. The TR2, I dont see anything in any of the references. I wonder if it even had a center support originally..

Stan

I don't recall my 1955 TR2, owned from 1963 for 6 years, having any centre support, and making sure that the exhaust didn't hit the box in the centre of the chassis was a fiddle.

The TR4 bracket, as Bob says, works very well.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
9 hours ago, foster461 said:

The TR3 used a clamp/brace combo thing that spans the frame rails with the exhaust in the middle. Horrid thing. The TR4 used a simpler bracket that hangs from the rear gearbox mount, much better. The TR2, I dont see anything in any of the references. I wonder if it even had a center support originally..

Stan

I think the diagram above shows the TR2, no second silencer etc and the ugly center bracket.

Tom

I used the original TR 2 Bracket on the middle section of the exhaust  for about 25 years and was always fixing it or trying to adjust it to prevent it rattling.

Put the TR 4 arrangement on 2 years ago and have no problems since I would go for the TR4 arrangement.

Ewan

When I restored my 56 TR3, I was concerned about that centre clamp and whether the exhaust would rattle against the frame. I used a stainless band style clamp, and made up a "hanger" to hold the system in place under the transmission (this was made from a generic muffler hanger from a parts place). Some variation of this approach might work for you too. Cheers, Mike

882592481_StainlessClamp.thumb.JPG.1e6620ff1fceef10ad7d668983f522c9.JPG

Fabricated Bracket.JPG