TR6 STARTUP AFTER 6 WEEKS AND OIL CHANGE INTERVALS

I've just been away in Canada and the USA for 6 weeks. Both the daily driver TR2 and the TR6 started up after a few seconds cranking. Took them both for a drive and smiled all afternoon.

After the drive I changed the TR6 oil and filter, at 2800 miles and 17 months interval. I don't take much notice of the time interval with modern oils and filters but do not let it go past 3,000 miles. 

What is others opinion on oil change intervals?

On a side note, while in Canada my wife and I had the pleasure of attending the All British Day in Vancouver. A fantastic day and I arrived home to find a parcel from the TR Register British Columbia with a few momentos. How good is that! Thanks gents.

Might I ask why 12 months? From what I have read modern oils and filters don't degrade in a 12 month period. 

I try and do mine once a year, I think the reasoning behind it is that a lot of us don’t do that many miles in the winter so the oil is just sat there in the sump.

I agree that oil does last longer than a year but change mine every year on all my vehicles (regardless of mileage) for the following reasons:

1 - it's an easy rhythm to get into to ensure I don't forget
2 - I tend to use the car less over winter so have more time for maintenance (and can leave oil draining overnight)
3 - cost of oil is not significant versus cost of engine repair 

I change the oil and filter in the TR3a and TR6 and (via the local dealer) my wife's Ford Escape at 12 month intervals even though none of them do more than 1000 miles a year. In the case of the TR's it gives me a chance to see what is coming out of the sump and the engine is not sitting in old engine oil all winter. I top up the gearboxes and rear axles at the same time. Every fear years I drain and refill those too but not as often as the engine oil.

Memo to self, get a lift.

Stan

1 minute ago, foster461 said:

I change the oil and filter in the TR3a and TR6 and (via the local dealer) my wife's Ford Escape at 12 month intervals even though none of them do more than 1000 miles a year. In the case of the TR's it gives me a chance to see what is coming out of the sump and the engine is not sitting in old engine oil all winter. I top up the gearboxes and rear axles at the same time. Every fear years I drain and refill those too but not as often as the engine oil.

+1

Jochem

I suppose we here down under are in a different environment than most on this site. My cars are used regularly all year round and with 250km plus trips a few times a year. They don't sit for longer than a week or two.

15 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Comparing with modern car oil life may not just be down to the oil itself but also reflects cleaner burning engines with tighter tolerances that means less contamination of the oil.

I agree. Fuel contamination of the oil is a big issue withe the TR6 and to a lesser extent the TR2. I change the oils at about half the recommended mileage but don't have an issue with extending the time interval to 18-24 months if I do less miles. Really only an issue with the TR6, the TR2 gets a couple of oil changes a year with the miles it covers.