Surrey hard top SS trim fitting advice

Gents, I'm about to refit the rear SS trim on the aluminium Surrey hardtop. I have the original clips which I dislike because they scratch the paint and are a pain to remove and need to chose a non-setting sealant (silicone ?). What are the sensible options for both clips and sealant?

Thanks

Hi Stef,

I have used original clips and silicone caulk on the (3) aluminum ones I've done. Removal was pretty easy ( did this only once ) and the scratches on the paint are behind the front edge of the trim. There is a chance of scraping the paint with that edge too, btw.

I believe TRIUMPH used a black caulk with the clips, which eventually became brittle and held the trim on with a vengeance. Patience and copious amounts of adhesive solvent gets the better of it. I think there are (7) clips.

I wouldn't worry about removing the trim; no need unless repainting that I can imagine.

Cheers,

Tom

Well Tom, i've done nothing of that ! Used 10 door outer securing strip clips which are twice the width of the originals and no sealant. Since it's aluminum i'm not otherwise worried about rust. Nice fit and holding tight on both ends of the trim.

Thanks for your inputs.

11 hours ago, Geko said:

Well Tom, i've done nothing of that ! Used 10 door outer securing strip clips which are twice the width of the originals and no sealant. Since it's aluminum i'm not otherwise worried about rust. Nice fit and holding tight on both ends of the trim.

Thanks for your inputs.

Thats what I use as well, work just as well as originals though for steel tops I use the usual non setting windscreen sealer.

Stuart.