Almost all the  claims about ‘problems’ with DoT 5 are regurgitated internet fables from the first trails of silicone fluid by the US postal service on its van fleet in the early 80’s.

If DoT 5 was this fluid of doom some claim, it would be an MoT test fail, and insurers would ban it in vehicles they cover.

It's been in widespread use in the classic car and hot rod community in the USA for 40 years.

And before Someone points out car makers state the use of silicone brake fluid is prohibited in their cars  and voids their warranty?  Well yes, it’s incompatible with the ABS systems that all modern cars have - and no Triumph has.

SBF in both my cars for years. Appears to work well & immaculate paintwork.

There you go Rob.

The good thing about a forum is you get to hear all sides of an argument and you can make your own decision.

The bad thing is that off the cuff remarks are sometimes taken literally, perhaps I should not have written 'working' but rather 'efficient', but then I don't suppose 'fluid of doom' is a literal comment either.

I had silicone in a Spitfire for many years without issue. Another Spitfire with silicone suffered from locking brakes, which may or may not have been due to the fluid/rubber seal compatibility. Both were fitted with virgin braking components from scratch.

Your original post suggested that you wanted to avoid potential problems, and therefore I go back to my first post. I suggest you use Dot 5.1.

Chin, chin, Jerry

Hi All

Many thanks for the responses, esp as non highlight any concrete issues.

My though was always that if the performance were that bad it would be widely publicised and action taken in terms of regulation.

So as everything is new and SBF compatible, i'm told, i'll probably go that way.

Afterall if i use 5.1 i'm bound to spill it all over the bonnet, lol.

Cheers

Keith