Final checks after rewire before connecting battery!

Hi All

I have been (very slowly) putting a new loom into My TR6 (Autosparks).

I cut all the old connectors off the old loom so I knew what wire went were.

I have checked most of the wires to make sure that one end is connected where I expect the other end to be.

Then I've checked it again.

And again.

So, my questions to all who may know - is there anything I should be doing before I reconnect the battery? Are there any tests I can do (bearing in mind I'm not an electrician!) to make sure I have it all correct?

Also - I am thinking of putting an electric fan in and spot lamps (I had the wiring done). Where do people put the switches (for lamps and over ride of fan)?

Any help of advice welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rog

Edited by Pogo

All I would suggest is to make sure all switches are in the off position, & get some one to watch the ammeter (if you have one) while you connect the battery.

Suggest making the connection away from the battery i.e. at the starter solenoid, or the chassis connection point to avoid sparks near the battery.

If no current shown, and / or no sparks then proceed to test all the individual circuits.

Good Luck

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

I’d make up a temporary fused earth connection, and initially put in a light fuse eg 5a

it will allow any serious fault to blow the fuse before any damage, and testing of small capacity circuits

progressivly larger fuse 10a,25a to test bigger circuits

only when all the minor circuits are tested and no serious faults found would i connect the car’s heavy earth connection.

hth

steve

All good suggestions. I like the fuse in the earth line to detect gross shorts. After you pass that hurdle, you might connect a multimeter, set to measure current, in series in the earth connection. With everything off, it should read zero. If not, find out why. Then test loads one at a time (all but the starter). The meter should  have at least a 10 amp range.

Hi Rog,

all the above +

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance of the loom to earth: with all switches and the contact off the resistance should be almost infinite. (Corrected)

The higher the better.

I too used a small fuse between battery and one of the poles, and tested the circuits one by one.

Note: a Bosch pump, as an example, draws 10-15 A, so the temporary fuse needs to be bigger than that or it will blow.

Also disconnect the coil feed, as the coil will get very hot if ignition is left on for longer time during your commissioning.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi
Resistance measured for this should be almost infinite
1 hour ago, Waldi said:

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance of the loom to earth: with all switches and the contact off the resistance should be almost zero,

NO! It should be infinite! The higher the better.

Pete

9 hours ago, stillp said:

NO! It should be infinite! The higher the better.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

you are absolutely right. I corrected the post above.

Waldi

9 hours ago, pheaney said:

Hi Rog,

If you look at the rear of the Dash support bracket there are 2 extra holes pre-prepared each side of the courtesy light switch.

It is possible to utilise these for extra switches or lights as required. 

Paul

Thanks Paul

I saw these and assumed those were where I would put the switches.

Does anyone have any particular switches that they use that look in keeping with a standard TR6?

Rog

Edited by Pogo

lucas-spb104-31434-54033230-ps7-push-pulimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbF1wMraSnX5nL4tLM7V1

Hi Rog,

I used one of these Lucas switches with the pictorial TR6 fan pull. I had to remove a little from the end of the switch as the  depth of the pull is not as much as that supplied with the switch.

Paul

Edited by pheaney
Image would not upload
On 6/24/2019 at 7:39 AM, Pogo said:

Thanks for all the advice folks.

All gratefully received and when I am ready for the final connection I'll take them on board.

Rog

Hi Roger

I use one of these https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/148/category/30 would work well with a low amp fuse and then step it up as others have mentioned and when all working well replace with correct supplied fuse and then screw on the knob, job done. Handy little security device too.

2 hours ago, pheaney said:

lucas-spb104-31434-54033230-ps7-push-pulimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbF1wMraSnX5nL4tLM7V1

Hi Rog,

I used one of these Lucas switches with the pictorial TR6 fan pull. I had to remove a little from the end of the switch as the  depth of the pull is not as much as that supplied with the switch.

Paul

Thanks Paul

I was looking at that for the fan.

Roger

2 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Roger

I use one of these https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/148/category/30 would work well with a low amp fuse and then step it up as others have mentioned and when all working well replace with correct supplied fuse and then screw on the knob, job done. Handy little security device too.

Thanks Kev - I have one of those on the car already so it would be easy to rig up with smaller fuses.

Rog