Cam Followers best ones?

I do not see a technical ground / reason why a flat tapped cam follower should be linked to a specific cam shaft (manufacturer). It is “just” a flat, smooth machined surface.

But to avoid warranty issues, it is best to buy both from the same source.

Some not-flat tappets are reported on this forum, these are wrong obviously.

Make sure to remove the salts that could be on the new tuftrided tappets, it is a salt-bath process. And measure them before installation + ensure they move smooth in the bore with no heavy points.

Cheers,

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

I do not see a technical ground / reason why a flat tapped cam follower should be linked to a specific cam shaft (manufacturer). It is “just” a flat, smooth machined surface.

But to avoid warranty issues, it is best to buy both from the same source.

Some not-flat tappets are reported on this forum, these are wrong obviously.

Make sure to remove the salts that could be on the new tuftrided tappets, it is a salt-bath process. And measure them before installation + ensure they move smooth in the bore with no heavy points.

Cheers,

Waldi

Remaking followers was a serious quality issue some years ago.  Matching the metal / hardness of the cam with that of the  follower is quite important. 

We had a lot of failures some years ago when Geo Clancy the OE maker went out of business and the world sourced from wherever it could. The other issue was that TR followers look externally like MGC but the internal spherical cup the pushrods sit on is the wrong size.

Enjoy......

Peter W 

Thanks Peter.

Giving the mating components a  difference in hardness is a good method to reduce the risk of galling (like 10 points HB, Brinell hardness). I did not know MGB and TR tappets were “almost” identical, but are not interchangeable.

Regards,

Waldi

The case for using the cam manufacturer’s followers is really about avoiding the two blaming each other in the event of failure. Some of the followers were poor quality a few years ago and the same could be said of the reground cams. New blanks may well have addressed this.

If your followers show signs of failure I would check the cam very closely for reciprocal damage on the lobe.

6 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The case for using the cam manufacturer’s followers is really about avoiding the two blaming each other in the event of failure. S

Exactly that, same goes for pistons/rings/liners 

On 6/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, signalredshaker said:

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that the different types weren't available when I bought by 'Standard' TR4/4A camshaft from Moss. Just fairly shiny ones with no hole in the lower side area.

James

Hi James,

when did you buy your Standard Cam form Moss.  Don't buy the cheap silvery tappets - assuming they fit in the engine they are not special in any way.

TRShop do some nice standard followers with oil drain and they fit

The Moss quality followers are very good but at £16 each it takes ones breath away.

Newman Cams Do some very good chilled Iron followers at a reasonable price.

Roger

Enough already !

Nobodies asked the number 1 important question...why are you changing them ?

Have you had misfiring of the engine ? ( sticking follower). Have you pulled and inspected them and found damage ? ( signs they do not turn, or mushrooming on the surface)...owners don’t just decide to swap followers like a fashion accessory...do they ?

There is NO chance I would fit new followers without having pulled the camshaft and inspected ALL can lobes intently checking for damage... have you done this ?

There is no advantage in swapping the followers unless one of the above ( or other non specified) faults exist. There is 3/5ths of bugger all in performance advantage just fitting the highest spec and most costly cam followers, so why do it ?

The points made above by 3 or more other posters are well made. Any subsequent trouble with cam followers/ camshaft after fitment and each supplying firm will claim...”it’s not our part... we’ve sold thousands... never had that problem before, and both will refuse a joint meeting where all can discuss what’s too be done... and more importantly - who pays ?

ALWAYS buy complimentary components that HAVE to work together from the same single source, and ask what lubricant they suggest  when fitting , and if they sell it... buy it.

I’ve built over 20 of these engines, race and road specs, and NEVER had any problems with camshaft or followers and used at least 4 different camshaft/ follower suppliers ( engine owners specified). 

Mick Richards

I am embarking on a winter programme of improvement- aren't all TR owners? Don't forget this is a hobby and I need something to do during the winter - and I have scheduled to have a good look at the engine- its running fine but I've noticed some consistent tapping from the camshaft region which can't be remedied by the adjustment of valve clearances- I intend to look a little further so whilst I am at it, I will inspect the cam followers (as you do); hence my interest. The camshaft was replaced ages ago, although not that many miles it seems but at least 20 years ago. I think that rules out me making a claim against the camshaft supplier.

You can see an issue with buying the followers to suit the camshaft- those black ones were not available then so that policy just will not work.

Of course if the camshaft is damaged then its simple- order them from the same place. But if it isn't? then what?  Black or shiny with hole or without? Or, is there really no perceptible difference (which I suspect) as suggested my Mick.

James

Progress then... suspend any further pondering until cam followers AND camshaft removed and compared for unusual wear marks. Then if replaced as a pair all bases are covered, if not then reopen discussion.

Mick Richards

If you are looking for a tapping noise that can't be cured by adjusting the tappets, it may be a cam follower sticking in the bore.  If you are removing the head, check the wear pattern on the face of the followers.  If there is evidence of wear in one place that suggests the follower is not rotating, then it is quite possible that it has been sticking and could be responsible for your tapping noise.  The solution is to check that any new followers are free to move smoothly in their bores and if not, reduce the diameter by 1/2 a thou or so.  I fitted mine in a bench drill and rubbed them down with 600 grade wet & dry.

Rgds Ian