During my visit to the 50th anniversary in Germany, Laurence and myself noted that the tyres on some of the German cars were 15 years old plus,

I always believed that they have a really difficult  mot,  some of the tyres were even cracked, I was amazed,

Pink 

• 1 month later...

Hello Pink,

we do have a (sometimes) difficult MOT - most of us can tell amazing / crazy/ funny stories about this topic.
So actually cracked (or overaged)  tyres should not pass the MOT - but sometimes the guy controlling the car has other things in mind.

Johannes

Heard from my MOT tester the other week that the proposal to check tyre age in UK is coming. Anything over 10 years old will fail.

22 minutes ago, monty said:

Heard from my MOT tester the other week that the proposal to check tyre age in UK is coming. Anything over 10 years old will fail.

This really does make me laugh. 

The government believes that it is a safety issue to have tyres over 10 years old fail the MOT but the cars they are most likely to be on are exempt!

Hi Johannes, thank you for your reply,  what about modifications are they aloud ,

Hi hawk ,  think you have  got that wrong,  no way I would run tyres that were  over 10 years old the rubber  goes hard 

espeshially in the sun,  risk to your live and others 

Cheers pink 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:54 AM, j-eichert said:

Hello Pink,

we do have a (sometimes) difficult MOT - most of us can tell amazing / crazy/ funny stories about this topic.
So actually cracked (or overaged)  tyres should not pass the MOT - but sometimes the guy controlling the car has other things in mind.

Johannes

Hi,

that is true!

When I bought my TR4 with freshly made TÜV the tyres have been 25 years old.

Ciao, Marco

Hello Pink,

this is sometimes very, very individual.... that's why everybody is able to tell sometimes funny stories about what they complained and what they did let pass.

There are certain rules - but there is always room for Interpretation and/ or as good sense for reality

Johannes