Carburettor sputtering.

Yes - that visible plume coming out of the carb is a bit of a give-away. Either the valve isn't closing fully or it is firing at the wrong time. (You do have the plugs connected 1243 and not 2143 ?)

On 6/21/2019 at 9:21 AM, ianc said:

I'm delighted to see that Peter Cobbold is contributing once again - I am one of a great many who has missed his excellent and erudite contributions.

Ian Cornish

Welcome back Peter - we missed you.

Firing order is 1342

Bob.

OOPs- my bad-sorry for the confusion,  but the principle stands.

My excuse is that if you look at the dizzy cap, then reading clockwise from top left the cables are connected 1243 but of course the dizzy goes round anticlockwise so the firing order is 1342.

Edited by RobH

It's not the SU

Compression test will rule out sticking iv. or tappet.

Could be tracked disy cap firing a front cylidner inapproriately when iv is open.

Doesnt sound to me like swapped leads, its not misfiring enough

Peter

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Welcome back Peter - we missed you.

Firing order is 1342

Bob.

Thanks Bob, I drop in from time to time. Peter

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. The firing order is definitely correct and I now agree that the fault does not lie with the SU’s. I would be surprised if it is a valve as I have had the head off and they are all free in the guides and good contact on the seats. I won’t rule this out however. I did gap the tappets when replacing the head but will do this again along with a plug change and distributor check. The car doesn’t have points which have been replaced with  Luminition ignition but the spark is good so don’t suspect that.

Geoff