TR7 Electric power steering

I bought my current TR7V8 last year and after a few years doing other things was particularly surprised at how heavy the steering was.  Maybe its age and being used to modern cars but it was really bad particularly when parking and at low speed. As I am hillclimbing the car, hairpins have been a real pain - just getting the lock on and off.  I put roller top bearings in and gave the whole system some TLC with the grease gun but it made little difference.  I started to look for power steering and found the old hydraulic system to be just about impossible to source.  I then looked at electric systems and found two.  I plumped for a system from a company called 'Easy Steer' it only cost £550 which was by far the best value.  I've just fitted it - took me about 4 hours.  All you have to do is remove the old column and replace it with the new one which has the motor attached.  There is also a control box and a variable sensitivity control knob.  It a bit of a fight to get it under the dash as there is a lot of wiring in the way and the tube for the air vent but it does fit. The wiring is straightforward only needing a good main 12v supply, earth and switched 12v supply.

I've just taken it out for a drive and the car is completely transformed.  Frankly, it's the best money I've spent on the car so far and that's including all the money I haven't told my wife about!!  If anyone wants to know more just ask or PM me.

Larry

Edited by Larryjc
  • 2 months later...

Hi Larry,

I have just fitted the same system to my 7 and after a few teething problems it is now working fine. I agree with your comments re the wiring & heater ducting, it was a bit of a pig but I got there! You are correct in that it transforms the car. I used to really struggle with parking but it is now a doddle. I started with the sensitivity set to maximum but have now found about 70%-80% a good level for regular driving.

One warning to others - my car blew three of the black control boxes which Easysteer said was due to my brand new atp alternator. I eventually I fitted a £20 12v regulator from Amazon which sorted the problem.  I am planning to write an article for TR Action - if I get round to it! If anyone wants details of the regulator then pp me.

cheers,

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in electric powered steering for my TR6. I understand that a Corsa B or C system works, but I have also heard that the MGF system works and can take impulses off the speedo cable.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has undertaken this conversion, or any feedback in the subject. I have read elsewhere about people asking why anyone would want to do this.......well that is a separate issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the boarder picture as we are all getting older the addition of power steering must be a positive thing as it will enable people to still drive the cars who may have otherwise given up.

Dave

Hi, I have just taken delivery of another 7 V8,  the first was bl***y hard to manoeuvre at low speed. Besides, my wife, also 76, wouldn’t drive it all.

The new one has been fitted with EPS and what a difference. I’m not sure but it’s probably the Corsa mod. I would say for the elderly and bewildered like me  who just can’t live without their TR it’s a good investment. With the aid of a bolster cushion and a flashing yellow light, she should be able to drive this one. 

Strange is it not that in the 60s when I was young, I never even noticed the heavy steering on my 1954 TR2. Age does strange things to you!

Rodders.

Edited by modelbuilder
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, Allan Westbury said:

Hi Larry,

I have just fitted the same system to my 7 and after a few teething problems it is now working fine. I agree with your comments re the wiring & heater ducting, it was a bit of a pig but I got there! You are correct in that it transforms the car. I used to really struggle with parking but it is now a doddle. I started with the sensitivity set to maximum but have now found about 70%-80% a good level for regular driving.

One warning to others - my car blew three of the black control boxes which Easysteer said was due to my brand new atp alternator. I eventually I fitted a £20 12v regulator from Amazon which sorted the problem.  I am planning to write an article for TR Action - if I get round to it! If anyone wants details of the regulator then pp me.

cheers,

Allan

Hi Allan,

I am new to TR's, and also the Register. I have recently bought a 1982registered TR7 which I am currently 'reviving' . Obviously I also find the steering heavy, especially when manoeuvring in tight spaces. I am considering fitting power steering so your record of the procedure and any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Emrys

Hi Z320,

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe!

The good thing about the Easysteer option is that you are basically just changing the steering column for the one they supply which is a TR7 column with the motor mount welded in. You then return your column to them for a £100 refund.

Just found their website,

they use the Renault Clio 2 unit and the Bruno Steering controler as I did.

550 GBP is the price + 40 - 65 GBP for the controller? The refund you get, but has been charged on top of the 550 GBP before?

If my english is good enough to understand.

Anyway a good price.

Edited by Z320
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, I have just seen this.

I paid £520 plus £100 deposit which was returned when I set them the old steering column. I had a problem with the small black control module which they replaced free the first time but I paid £40 replacement the second time. I think my alternator was overcharging. I have now protected the module with a voltage regulator from Amazon & it has been working perfectly for the last 3 months.

thanks,

Allan