Acceleration pick up

Hi all,

I have a small issue with the running of my TR4 and would welcome your thoughts - mindful of the potential range of solutions.

During normal road use I find that there is some slight hesitation when I decelerate fully and then accelerate again.  I find that if I enrich the mixture on the HS6 SUs then the hesitation goes, but I am left with blackened spark plugs, indicating that it is too rich.  I can find no problems with inlet manifold sealing, the gaps on plugs and points seem good, there is oil in the dashpots, and the car idles nicely.  Hard acceleration is OK but I would like to improve the smooth driving if possible.

I wonder if I need to alter the timing or something else?

Many thanks

Mark

When was the last time your distributor was rebuilt? Check the vacuum advance is actually working and that the bob weights are free. Make sure you have a decent rotor arm and not a riveted one

Stuart.

Try EP90 in the carburettor dashpots.  It's also worth checking that you have the correct colour springs in your carbs.  I can't recall what the correct colour is offhand but if they're too light you can get uneven running when under light throttle.