White wire with brown stripe

Just took my Tacho out and hanging in amongst the wiring is a bulb and holder with a white and white/brown tracer wire coming out of it. It looks like it should be in the back of the tacho. It’s not the charge light (that goes out when the engine starts and revs as it should) but this one just stays on all the time the ignition is on and it’s earthed. Oil pressure fine so it’s not an oil pressure light (don’t seem to have one of those)

lights not on so it’s not an instrument illumination bulb.

its been shining up there on its own for the 10 years I’ve owned the car so I’m not hugely worried, just wondered what the wire above is....

Simon

Hi Simon, I’ve just checked my wiring diagram which I made up for my car (72 CP) and those are the colour cables for the low oil pressure switch.

Edited by Kevo_6

If you remove the cable from the oil pressure switch the light should go out, then put it to a good ground it should come back on, if this is the case you probably just need to replace the oil pressure switch. If the light stays on when you remove it the you have probably got a short to ground on the white/brown cable. 

Edited by Kevo_6