Triumph Competition - Assen

Assen was really fun. The weather was largely great, all participants were in a good mood. Most cars have kept up (which, oddly enough, is always a problem at Assen).

After a solid 2nd place in Race 1, a failure with a pushrod damage in Race 2, made me start from the back in Race 3. I got help from Philippe Vermast. He had suffered an engine failure, but could find a replacement engine and shared in race 3 with me the last row.

Philippe immediately took the lead in our Dynamic Duo and we made our way through the strong field of cars ahead.

Although I was the first to cross the finish line, unfortunately I did an unnoticed overtaking maneuver under the Yellow Flag. So I was reset by 20 seconds, on P4. Of course I'm happy for the winners on the podium, because I had had so much fun in this catch-up race. Philippe had also enjoyed the furious ride. Unfortunately, he touched a tire barrier in the chicane and bent the steering. He did not reach the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaiCLm0yvV4

A great drive Christian. A very well balanced car. Plenty of power ( do you want to do my 3a engine !!)and a suspension set up that allows you to deal with traffic mid corners !!

Thank you. The TR4 is really doing great. One of the best race cars Triumph every built I think.

I don't build engines for other people. They are so much detailed work. Not so much the parts I use, more the fine treatment of everything to hold together for a while.

The green TR4 with the white roof and me made a plan how to get past the grid.

He was the snow plow for the first part of the race, which made it easy for me to follow his wake.

When he struggled with the yellow Healey I took over his job and he followed me.

The plan was to work together until we both are in front and then fighting each other again :-)

Unfortunately he didn't manage to pass the blue MGB while I was approaching more and more to the leader (white MGA).

What cam do you have. ?

do you run with much camber ?

you can pm me if it’s a secret ;)

I can't say much about the camshaft - 310 degree stuff, 48 DCOE Webers.

I run 4.5 degree of camber, caster standard, bump steer suitable for the Nordschleife = toe out on bump.

I run 1mm toe in.

Standard leaf springs at rear, MGB GT 1700 springs on front.

Standard lever shocks at rear, Koni red at front.

Sway bars on both axles.

Standard brakes at front and rear. Balance bar.

Dogbox gearbox.

Dago rake

Edited by MadMarx

Driving the TR4 - compared to the TR8 - feels like driving ins slow motion.

I have plenty of time, to get the car to the perfect spots on the track, and all the other cars are slow too.

Really weird how a slow car feels, when you are used to drive a grenade.

But this doesn't hurt the fun.

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting. Especially the handling /brake side of things and that much of it is standard. 

I suppose that you have to think so quickly in the v8 the 4 gives you the time to think. Every thing is relative tho !!

stay safe and enjoy. 

H