Tr3 doesn't start

After I bought my TR3 (finally!!! Yay!) at the end of last year, I had to store the car till now. When I stored the car, it ran ok, but spilled fuel from one of the carburetors. I adjusted the carburetor, after which the fuel spill stopped but engine didn't start. I had to get the car into a garage so might have tried to restart a bit too much, probably drowning the enige.

Now we are a few months later, and I want to start driving the car. I had a serious problem with my previous classic car after not using it for a while, with the fuel going bad. So what should I do before trying to start the engine? I guess give the carburetor a bit more fuel again. I've already replaced the spark plugs (they were black...). But what about the possibly bad fuel? Just try and see? Add new fuel? Drain the fuel?

Hi Doddel,

Bad fuel is a serious possibility.  First take all the plugs out. Spin the engine and make sure you have sparks whilst doing this.

Charge the battery so that it gives the engine a fair chance.

Drain the float chambers and top up with 97RON or better. 

Remove the air filters - possibly consider a squirt of 'Start You Bast%^&' this is desperation time.

Heat the plugs with a hot air gun etc and refit.

TRy to start with normal choke

Where abouts are you in the UK.  Perhaps a local club member could assist.

Roger

As for not starting - make sure you are pulling the choke all the way out. Some can be quite stiff and need considerable force so that you think it's there - but it isn't. There needs to be about two inches of choke rod showing between the knob and the dashboard. You shouldn't need to use any ether spray - that is a last resort.

As a matter of interest what did you do to 'adjust' the carb? Spillage sounds like a float-valve problem rather than adjustment.

1 minute ago, RobH said:

As a matter of interest what did you do to 'adjust' the carb? Spillage sounds like a float-valve problem rather than adjustment.

I cleaned the needle and then lowered the float lever a tiny bit to get a bit less fuel in (I did this based on watching youtube videos for like 30 min - I have no history as a mechanic)

OK that adjustment makes sense. You must have had the carb lid off to get at the needle though - did you check that the piston still moves freely afterwards by lifting it and allowing it to drop back? It should lift with some resistance from the spring and the oil dashpot and come down smoothly with a 'clunk' as it hits the body.

I suggest that you contact the TR club in Belgium:

Peter Verheyen, Boerenkrijglaan 12, B-2980 Zoersel

email and phone number probably on website (I don't want to put them here).

Also TR clubs in Holland, Germany and most other European countries - have a look at the TR Register's main site.

Ian Cornish

Assuming new clean fuel in float chambers and the car ran before being parked and the settings have not been messed with.

Our tried and tested method is remove all plugs. Heat the tips of them all with a blow torch. Refit using gloves! Try to start in ordinary choke staring way.

If still no go ..... drain water and refill with hot water. Remove and heat plugs again.  Try again with fresh battery or even second battery as a jump start. 

If no go shew it the tow rope and the Land Rover.  

If still no go I'll give 50 quid for it as a non runner......

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

That video sounds like bad  ignition to me, there's no coughing. Check you are getting sparks and if yes, then the points gap.

Peter

If there are sparks then there is no fuel.

after the long layup i suggest you check/overhaul the fuel system - pump,filter,carbs

if it were running but badly i’d suggest redex or similar to clean out the ‘gum’ but as ot isn’t running this isnt an option

steve

What is the strange buzzing noise ? do you have an electric fuel pump that is making that noise ? If so it sounds like it is cavatating due to lack of fuel. Have you removed the tops from the float chambers to see if they are full of petrol? If not fill them with fresh petrol put the lids back on and see if the car will start. Do you have a fuel filter in the engine bay ? is it full of petrol ?

It could be that you have crud in the petrol tank blocking the fuel outlet preventing petrol getting to the carbs

cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to fixing the car this morning.

Here is what caused the fuel spilling problem in the carb: there was fuel inside the float, so it didn't stay on top of the fuel. Fixed that (temporarily) by drilling a hole in the float.

Oh, and turns out the fuel meter doesn't work, so the noise you're hearing in that clip from the fuel pump, was simply a fuel pump not getting any fuel because ... the tank was empty

:wacko:

2 hours ago, peejay4A said:

I’m struggling to understand how drilling a hole in a float stops it from sinking because it’s full of fuel. 

I drilled a small hole, let the fuel out (by shaking the float). It doesn't fill again because in order for fuel to get in, air has to go out. Which doesn't happen when there is only one small hole

1 minute ago, doddel said:

I drilled a small hole, let the fuel out (by shaking the float). It doesn't fill again because in order for fuel to get in, air has to go out. Which doesn't happen when there is only one small hole

Hmmm.   I'm struggling too. Why did it sink?

Peter

If the hole is at the bottom of the float then  it will work (ignoring temp/preesure fluctuation).

I showed this to my Scouts at a raft race event. If you have a bung missing then put the fill hole in the barrel at the 6-o-clock position.

Indeed you will get a little in but not anything Titanic.

Roger