Just the one panel light then...

Whilst fiddling with the 3A this afternoon, I happened to pull on the panel light switch. Only one measly light illuminated - the one adjacent to the oil pressure gauge above the temp gauge. The last time I drove the car at night was at least 4 years ago.

As the 2 lights on the tacho are reasonably accessible, I popped in 2 new bulbs into it - nothing. The main beam light on the speedo does illuminate though.

So, having had a look at the wiring digram, I am thinking the problem with the 4 lamps in the taco and speedo is probably a lack of connection with panel switch itself. The other centre panel lamp is probably a duff bulb as the two centre panel lamps are on a separate 'circuit' and one of them works.

However, as electrickery bewilders me what do the sage ones here think?

Also, is there a relatively easy way of getting at the panel switch and centre panel bulb? Going through the rats nest of cables from below is clearly a non-starter.

Miles

How do these lamps earth Miles, i’d be looking there since multiple lamps don’t work.

steve

Steve

I suspect it is the clamps that hold the two large dials to the dash (same as the smaller gauges).

Just thought - I can probably get access to the centre panel bulb and panel light switch by removing the glove box (again!) - what do others think?

Miles

You can remove the two wing nuts at the bottom of the center panel, & you only have to loosen the two top ones as the studs are in slots rather than holes.

You can then pull the panel down & out at the base, to release the top.

It won't come out very far because the oil pressure gauge pipe is holding it back, but that can be disconnected. The next problem is the temperature gauge pipe, but the is usually enough slack to allow the panel to be pulled out enough to get hands behind it.

Good luck !

Bob.

Thanks guys. I have a battery cut off switch and given my distrust of electrickery am super cautious in switching off before I do anything (electricity or otherwise) on the car. 

Any thoughts out there on my theories about what might have gone wrong here before I gear up to taking things apart?

Thanks as ever.

Miles

The earthing of the bulbs can be iffy, also the bulbs sometimes do not make good contact in their holders. But, as you say many of the bulbs do not work, it could be that one or more of the red / white wires connecting the Panel light switch (or rheostat) to the bulbs has pulled out of the panel light switch terminal.

Bob.