TR2 Floor grommets

The early cars had a metal dished grommet held in with a spring strip. I have a complete one but the other spring had broken. 

Anyone suggest what I can make this from as it is not an easy shape to replicate. They have to draw when pressed to allow the cup to be removed. Otherwise the metal cups are in great condition.

All suggestions considered.

Rod

hi roger, unfortunately it's a flat section which is domed across through slits at 180 degrees. As you depress the spring so the ends withdraw and then you pull up.                                                      

Hi Alan,

If you think of a ww2 British army helmet inverted and a curved spring to lock into place. I don't have any pics just now and they are in one of many boxes of refurbished parts ready from rebuild.

We are in the throws of remaking this item. Samples got 'lost', but we are up and running again. More info when the project is completed.  

Challenge is economic pressed part, the spring is a simple flat strip with bent down ends attached by a 3/32" rivet  

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 6/17/2019 at 1:38 AM, TR 2100 said:

Never seen the early "Metal dished grommet" type.

Would love to see some photos?

And maybe photos would help to suggest a means of replicating them.

AlanR

Thank you for the photo.

I need two for my long door car.

Edited by John McCormack
  • 1 month later...

Part Number 602219     

Prototype plugs are with me now.   Lots of hand finishing work required to ensure fit prior to production and sale.

I have made a mock up spring from stainless and loosely riveted it to the plate with an old nail, to see what the final fitment will be like.

Plates are good but slightly bigger overall o/d than orig - which really makes no difference in service.  Concourse boys might get out a file to reduce the diameter slightly.....

Intend to get the things corrosion protected, probably by e coating, so they can be sprayed by the end user.

First production batch should be available by October.

NOTE - These will fit ALL TR's from TR2-TR6 instead of the rubber bung pt no 603384

Cheers

Peter W

PS I will put one in my TR if someone wants to touch one at IWE on Saturday.

following are pics of plug in and out of floors.

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A couple of photos of my original metal floor grommets, these were still fitted in the cars original floor panels which had been plated over with a single sheet of metal each side by a P.O.

To be cleaned up and refitted in my new floor panels. Great work Peter W.

Cheers

Ade

IMG_3147.jpeg

IMG_3150-1.jpeg

Edited by AJ2014
Photo added
  • 1 month later...

I have enough parts now to assemble 40 plugs, but am still waiting for a price ( and a bill) from the press shop that made the plug.

Am currently black etch priming them as individual items & I will assemble using a Monel pop rivet rather than the solid steel rivet.

If anyone wants to buy just the spring strip I have a few spares at £6.00 each including a copper rivet. Plus whatever the postage is at cost.

Cheers

Peter W

• 2 weeks later...

First batch black primed and assembled using monel pop rivet (coz it don't rust) rather than an original steel item. 

Still waiting for a price from the press shop!

I have a dozen or so spring steel straps spare if you want to rebuild your own. They will come with a 3/16" dia. copper rivet to attach at £6.00 each plus postage

Cheers

Peter W

602219 Floor Plug ready to sell.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 10/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, 2long said:

Can I get a pair for my 2 when they are ready?  They look nice!

Cheers

Dan

Yes Dan - I will put a pair to one side for you.

I am still waiting for a price for the plug part from the press shop so have no selling price yet.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 10/22/2019 at 3:57 AM, 68tr said:

Hi Peter,

Put me down for 2 pairs if you don't mind. Great job!

Thanks, Mike

Yes Mike I will put a pair to one side for you.

I am still waiting for a price for the plug part from the press shop so have no selling price yet.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 10/22/2019 at 4:03 AM, CJD said:

I would be interested in a set too!

John

Yes John I will put a pair to one side for you

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT