CP Pi Fuel Filters

Hello All,

Converting my car back to petrol injection and the next job is to fit the Bosch type pump, filter, and PRV in the boot.

Should I fit one, or two fuel filters (pre pump + post pump) ? 

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Personally i use just one filter, pre the pump

i use a disposable sytec filterpost-9473-0-23400500-1535489352_thumb.pnglike this

this setup has worked faultlessy for 12k ‘fun’ miles, car is tuned and produces more than 170hp so the setup is ‘adequate’ !

hth

steve

I have the same set-up as Steve.

Many modern cars do have a post-pump filter.

My reasoning for a suction filter is to protect the Bosch pump and MU + injectors from rust-particles from the tank. I have a large but fine filter, with 10 mm ID hose from tank to filter and a large nipple in the tank, 8.5 mm ID.

Filter to pump is a 12 mm ID hose.

A post-pump filter could provide better protection of the MU, but I felt this was enough.

Waldi

Ps, the filter is installed vertically below fuel tank outlet level, to provide some degree of protection from fuel starvation when cornering on a low fuel tank level.

seems to work as car runs reliably right down to empty......

steve

I use a bullet filter with the mesh filter before the Bosch pump and a post filter too to stop the fine stuff getting to the metering unit and injectors.

The pre-filter helps stop coarse debris from getting to the pump and shortening its life.

I agree with Steve's and Waldi`s comments, with a modern type pre-filter from the tank.

This was recommended and fitted  to my car built and designed by the late Alan Wadley (TR WORKSHOP), who was involved with the design & pioneered the replacement of Lucas fuel pumps to BOSCH for our TR``s many , many years ago.

Been running faultlessly for the last 20 years, however my BOSCH pump is located under the nearside rear wheel arch, rather than inside the boot, so don`t know if this makes a difference?

Thanks all for the replies, think I will use two filters to be safe. I will also add a "tap" to the hose at bottom of the tank.

Mark.

19 minutes ago, John L said:

@Waldi

What size outlet do you have in you tank, and where can I get one please?

John

Hi John,

I had one made by a friend from a 1/2” UNF bolt. That fitted nicely in the existing socket (tank outlet). Bore of nipple is 8.5 mm for a 10 mm ID hose. I will see if I can find the sketch and post it here. I sealed the thread with a fuel resistant Loctite.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi John,

here is the sketch I made for the tank outlet,B006BAE8-6048-4B46-80C8-614A51A9B0AD.jpeg.2a69b4bff1b893b8d4d25577ff45178f.jpeg the real thing, and the new and old suction filter from my CP.

I now see the ID is 8 mm, not 8.5 mm but still quitte an improvement over the original item.

Regards,

Waldi

F64FE063-B461-4D79-B94B-D6C98BB586CC.jpeg

EAF74939-3B9E-48F5-B445-5E0C60EB1224.jpeg