TR5 v late TR6 spec trailing arms

I'm accumulating parts for the 5 rebuild and wanted an opinion on if I would be better off fitting the later spec TR6 trailing arms or if the 5 spec ones would be OK. I'm assuming that if Triumph went to the trouble to upgrade them they must have had issues with the TR5 spec ones ?

4 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

Graham,

I hadn't realised that there differences. What were they?

Dave McD

Dave the later 6 ones have a bigger re Inforcing rib between the bearing housing to spring seat I only found out because it's in how to restore book by Roger Williams page 135

Just read my previous post - apologies for my dreadful English.

I race a TR6 and having had some cracks starting to occur in the trailing arms, due to the extreme side loads with wide sticky race tyres at high speed in coners, I had them reinforced with aluminium welded plates underneath. I'll try to find the photos and post them here.

It wasn't desperately expensive and has stood the test of time for many years now in the race environment.

Dave McD

2 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm accumulating parts for the 5 rebuild and wanted an opinion on if I would be better off fitting the later spec TR6 trailing arms or if the 5 spec ones would be OK. I'm assuming that if Triumph went to the trouble to upgrade them they must have had issues with the TR5 spec ones ?

I had to replace one of the trailing arms on my TR250 many years ago as the web between the bearing and the spring seat developed a large crack.

I have a suspicion that it may have been started by knackered lever arm shocks or extremely rough USA roads as the bump stops were thoroughly battered and the inner arches full of stress cracks when I bought it. I didn't notice it when I rebuilt the car but it spread quite rapidly over the next year or so.

Neil

As promised, see photos of my T/A reinforcement.

Photo 32 - underside view of original standard unamended T/A (don't know which type this is, early TR5 or later TR6?)

Photo 33 - side view of cracked T/A with weld repair to crack just in front of the hub mating face circle

Photo 34 - underside view of the welded plate repair to same cracked T/A. My thinking was that it bridged the crack repair but also transferred loading across from the main hub carrying face to the secondary web on the other side and around the spring pan. It might not be that pretty but it's functional and has not failed since being repaired. Care was required to avoid distorting the face of the hub mating face circle.

Dave McD

DSC01132.JPG

DSC01133.JPG

DSC01134.JPG

Graham 

Just taken some photos of a TR5/6 and TR4A  trailing arm for comparison purposes.

Hope you can see the differences but the TR5/6 one is definitely beefier and is noticeably thicker in some casting areas which you cant really see in the photos.

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich  

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

Graham - sorry , just realised you were wanting to compare a TR5 one with a later TR6 one, not a 4A . I don't know if my TR6 one is an early or late one to be honest but the part number is cast into the side as 308225  V3109  DD2

Cheers

Rich

Nice paint finish on those arms, what paint used ?

Mick Richards

Thanks Rich.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Graham - sorry , just realised you were wanting to compare a TR5 one with a later TR6 one, not a 4A . I don't know if my TR6 one is an early or late one to be honest but the part number is cast into the side as 308225  V3109  DD2

Cheers

Rich

Rich I think your Tr6 arm is the latter type as the 2 ribs which run from the base of the spring pan towards the shock mounting point are the same height on the TR 5 spec ones one rib is smaller/lower  , however the shock mount holes on the latter arms are also supposed to be smaller than the earlier arms and in your photo the hole looks the same size as on your 4a arm possibly Ther are a number of variants as Triumph developed the ? But only what I'm surmising from Roger Willams book 

Edited by Graham

Slightly off topic but there is nothing wrong with Baufix branded products from Lidl. I used their Teak Oil on two hard wood garden chairs and the results were excellent and long lasting.

Tim

On the later arms they are dated on the side which helps to work out what you have

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 354.jpg

Tonys TR6 353.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

Interesting, out of curiosity are the TR5 trailing arms the same as the TR4A ones?

Paul

No as the bump stop changed from the 4a style where the bump stop was mounted on the wheel arch box to the bump stop being mounted on the trailing arm.

Stuart.

Is there any chance that Triumph saloon trailing arms could be mistaken for TR items or are they also of the same specification?

One of my two spare trailing arms has Stanpart written on the side but not the other.  There’s also three rows of text, the first being the numbers 307053 then what I think is V2969 and then something I can’t read.  Hoping it’s a suitable replacement.

Paul

65DCB263-8B3A-464F-B686-DB060FB20167.jpeg

Edited by PaulAnderson
Photo added