I'm looking to replace my rocker cover and have been looking at the Alloy options from Moss, Rimmers and Revington. Is there much difference in quality, prices seem similar Revington a bit more expensive. Any thoughts re gaskets cork or silicone and would a sealant be recommended. If anyone has recently replaced their rocker cover I'd appreciate their input.

Thanks Phil

Phil

i bought the rimmers black vented alloy rocker cover for my 3a works fine. I have the cork gasket. 

A tip I was given and also works well is to seal/glue the gasket to the rocker cover with rtv sealer off the car, ie weighted down on a flat surface.

you can then remover the rocker cover without loosing gasket position. 

F9D945B4-7928-46A1-8EBB-73ABD78AC287.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pic

Always fancied a snazzy rocker box but as I understand it is there isn’t/wasn’t  a baffle plate across the vent tube as in the original, I believe some have glued a plate across it. I think without the plate it can cause extra oil misting inside the air plenum.

Of course I could be completely wrong and I would be interested if this is an issue.

2 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Always fancied a snazzy rocker box but as I understand it is there isn’t/wasn’t  a baffle plate across the vent tube as in the original, I believe some have glued a plate across it. I think without the plate it can cause extra oil misting inside the air plenum.

Of course I could be completely wrong and I would be interested if this is an issue.

I am dealing with that but too lazy to lift the cover.

Also the tiny little hole in the cap is crazy.

Did not expect a problem but after 2000 miles last week

the engine was well oiled all over.......

Needs not much, not even half a litre was missing, but if spoiled at

the right places it is all over dirty, including the air filter droping.

Phil, I've had an alloy rocker cover for years, fitted when the six cylinders were dropped in my Spit. I don't know which vendor it came from, but it's always had annoying habit of weeping oil. The alignment of the rocker and the cork gasket was poor - there was no groove for alignment and the cork had taken a set. There was also no attempt at sealing the fixing acorn nuts on the top which would also seep oil. Last year I fitted a Moss silicone gasket which I stuck in place with Hylomar - by the way, I stuck it to the block not the head but the effect is the same. I also obtained some Dowty washers to seal the Acorn nuts. The top of the engine is now completely leak free, and I can whip the cover off to check the valve clearances with confidence that it will seal again. I'm sorry I don't know the origin of the rocker cover - no logos - but I hope my experience may help.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info, I have been doing a bit of research and have ordered a cover from Revingtons. The covers are sourced for a supplier that doesn't supply the other major suppliers. The casting I am advised is of superior quality, due to arrive on Tuesday so watch this space.

Whilst its supplied with steel and fibre washers the Dowty washers sound like a option.

Thanks Phil

Hi Phil,

If you install both the fibre and the steel washer, and your crank case pressure is on the high side, it may still blow some oil (mist) out. It can escape between the nut and the steel washer.

If this is the case, I would try to install just the fibre washer below the nut without the steel washer, or alternatively a nylon washer.

Waldi

I've got a couple of the alloy covers but I've had the gasket face machined to take a loop of a 5mm silicon bead which is then sealed into the groove in the rocker cover so I just add a smear of oil to the head and hand tighten the knurled knobs, never had a leak after 10K plus miles

Also didn't like the breather hose coming out the manifold side of the block & running around the back of the block to the catch tank so pulled the original fitting & plugged the hole - then tapped and fitted a new one on the opposite side which makes it all much tidier......

Rocker cover 1.jpg

Rocker cover 4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They do make it look good but can be a bugger to keep clean. Any oil and dust will get in the grooves and are a pain to clean out. But a small price to pay I think. And most all the companies you mentioned will supply you the exact same part as they generally buy stock from same source. 

20140513_173441.jpg

On 6/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, Phil H 4 said:

I'm looking to replace my rocker cover and have been looking at the Alloy options from Moss, Rimmers and Revington. Is there much difference in quality, prices seem similar Revington a bit more expensive. Any thoughts re gaskets cork or silicone and would a sealant be recommended. If anyone has recently replaced their rocker cover I'd appreciate their input.

Thanks Phil

Hi Phil,

My biggest grip against them is that they do not have a recess for the cork gasket to lie in, to stop it spewing out on the corners and along the edges. I found that they always start to leak after a while even if the cork gasket is glued. In the end I had my cover machined with a groove in it for the gasket to lie in, since then it has never leaked. I did ask Moss years ago why it did not have this in the first place as it is injection cast. Jeff there gave me a funny answer and that is why I have a question mark against him.

Bruce.

27 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

. Jeff there gave me a funny answer and that is why I have a question mark against him.

Bruce.

Next time I talk to him I will ask him about your question mark as he is a personal friend.

Stuart.

As mentioned, the original steel covers normally had an internal baffle with mesh over the breather port to catch airborne oil mist, while the alloy covers usually don't have this.

Its a little tight, but i added a baffle to mine. 

Ed

DSC05429a.JPG

3 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Its a little tight, but i added a baffle to mine. 

Ed

DSC05429a.JPG

Complete with pan scrubber filter 

:D

11 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Trade term is 'flame trap '

Peter W

Ah ok Peter. Thank you for the correction ;)

In the oil industry it is also known as a demister or coalescer. The little droplets stick to the mesh and then drip down and return to the sump.

Waldi

Very nice Ed. How did you attach your little tin box (or is it ally?) to the rocker cover please?

Cheers, Richard

On 6/24/2019 at 9:39 AM, stuart said:

Next time I talk to him I will ask him about your question mark as he is a personal friend.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart: Let me know what he says to that question?

Thanks, Bruce.