Need to buy a set of summer tyres 195/65/15 which there are many choices but they all seem to look like they pritty basic for high MPG etc.

Can any one recommend a Performance tyre that has good grip in the dry /wet weather that is not a stupid price not bothered how long they last as age will kill them first ?

6 hours ago, Cameron said:

I have just fitted Vredestien Quatrac 5's.to my six, after recommendations from others, and at around £50 a corner good value. So far they seem very good and noticeable quieter. 

Cameron

+ 1  I love em, brilliant tyre. So much quieter and a much better ride. I paid £54.50 per tyre/fitted and balanced with Richard Harris who advertises in the TR mag. He uses proper lead weights and knows his stuff. I had these fitted to wire wheels and it transformed the ride. Well worth it

Bill

I've been looking at the Dunlop BlueResponse 195 65 15 H at around £50 a corner or cheaper. Its a B for fuel economy A for wet and 68 for noise, just saving up to get 4.

John

Got Uniroyals on mine.  No complaints dry or wet

Tim

13 hours ago, Richard M said:

Need to buy a set of summer tyres 195/65/15 which there are many choices but they all seem to look like they pritty basic for high MPG etc.

Can any one recommend a Performance tyre that has good grip in the dry /wet weather that is not a stupid price not bothered how long they last as age will kill them first ?

I fitted Dunlop blue response really pleased with them 

I also recently fitted Vredestien Quatrac 5's, really pleased with the ride and as others have commented quiet too. Have set at 27 PSI. Ordered mine via Black circles and used their fitting arrangement with a centre in Beaconsfield who provided an excellent service, also changed the spare without charge.

Hi All

Tyres again, but it does prompt a question which I'm unsure about.

My 72 Pi OD is going back on the road soon (here’s hoping :rolleyes:) after a long (LONG) absence and will need new tyres, as the old ones are, well very very old.

So I am on original wheels and intend to keep to the original size so 165 (80) R15.

So my question is what I am ALLOWED to run.

I’ve seen the cars top speed listed as 119mph, so 1mph over the T limit of 118 but that’s in an Autocar road test so I don’t know if that is an "official" Triumph top speed or not as the brochure from the time lists the top speed as 115mph-125mph, depending on specification.

So looking at Camskill I can see it lists things like the Dunlop Sport Classics and Vredestein Sprint Classics both H rated at £150 and £120 ish each, which at £750 for 5 tyres is kind of expensive, although less than Dave XAS’s.

But T rated tyres come much cheaper, with even expensive brands such as Continental and Vredstein coming in a less than half the price.

Now I don’t’ want to spend a £750 on tyres on a car that might only do 2000 miles a year and will need replacing due to age before they are even half worn.

From what I’ve read there is a generous safety margin built in to the speed ratings and as I'm not ever going to run over 70mph (maybe a bit) let alone get close to 119mph I’m sure T rated tyres will be safe.

But will they be legal (stopped or in an acc) and what about insurance?

Cheers

Keith

Keith

best thing is to ask your insurers or proposed insurers about the legality. 

H

Hi Hamish and all.

Was def will ask insurers before buying but anyone know about C&U and police implications, if any?

Cheers

Keith

C&U will refer back to the original manufacturer build spec, but 70 mph on the original spec tyres or lesser overall top speed tyres is still ...70  and much less than the specified standard maximum which can’t be done legally anyway. Should be no problem.

The police don’t have a database of every car make and model so won’t stop you at the side of the road, but will pick it up on a forensic check if in accident and refer back to your insurer. If your insurer confirms the tyre type and rating had been declared to them and is acceptable then all is ok.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

From Camskill last month Vredestein TTrac's @ around £80 for 2 & then properly balanced @ Blockley Tyres for £30. Happy so far but do a low mileage each year.