CR series overdrive

The overdrive on my 73 CR series TR6 engages and then jumps out, some times it will engage again before again jumping out.The oil level in the gearbox is correct. has any one any ideas on what to look at?

Thanks in advance.

My J Type overdrive was doing the same, topped up the oil, it was not a lot, but as it works on oil pressure just made sure it was dead right

I was told to check the connections to the Solanoid and also check if the earth is good, after doing all of that it’s now fine.

Edited by Paul Hill

Sounds like a weak solenoid perhaps, or poor electrical connections to the solenoid.

I would try cleaning all the electrical connectors in the O/D circuit first. If that doesn't help, suspect a dodgy solenoid.

Nigel

Phil - you should have a J type unit which are usually more mechanically reliable than a A type so I would expect it to be  an electrical issue - so check solenoid and earth connections as Phil has suggested, but also check your inhibitor switch is working properly ( someone recently suggested swapping it with your reversing light switch - they are the same) and that your column switch connections are good and not shorting out anywhere

Cheers

Rich 

My similar symptoms were caused by loose/dirty connections

check the lucar connections on the solenoid and the drivers footwell connections to the gearbox switches.

steve

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

Ok Thanks I will try the electical connections. I have just collected it from having a new hood fit and the overdrive just kept jumping in and out all the time.

Sounds electrical to me :-)

• 2 months later...