Spa Summer Classic, 27 - 30th June 2019

The CSCC have 2 races at this years Spa summer Classic, a Classic race for combined Swinging 60s series and Classic K series and an Interseries race for Future Classics, etc.

The 65 car Classic entry includes 7 Triumphs, 1 x Spitfire, 1 x TR6 and 5 x TR4, including frequent Forum contributor Christian Marx, who's new Forum profile photograph looks very sinister, not at all like his previous youthful looking  image. I look forward to seeing you on track Christian.

I don't think there are any Triumphs in the Interseries race.

Dave McD

I'm sorry that the sinister one can't be part of the CSCC race.

I have some schedule clashing with the TR8 car races.

But we will meet at Spa.

Hugo won't allow me to race in the inter series. The TR8 is regarded too fast on slicks.

This time I try to head for 2:42 laptime. Hope that will come true.

Edited by MadMarx
On 6/12/2019 at 8:58 PM, MadMarx said:

I'm sorry that the sinister one can't be part of the CSCC race.

I have some schedule clashing with the TR8 car races.

But we will meet at Spa.

Hugo won't allow me to race in the inter series. The TR8 is regarded too fast on slicks.

This time I try to head for 2:42 laptime. Hope that will come true.

Sorry to hear that you won't be racing with us in the classic race but look forward to meeting with you at Spa.

Wow, 2:42 target lap. That's quick. I'm still trying to get under 3:00. Last year I was the closest ever at 3:00.148, almost but not quite.

Dave

I always hoped to get the TR4 under 3 minutes, but my best time was 3:00.0xx something. I don't have the result sheet handy.

The TR8 is currently doing 2:46, but with leaking wheels.

Just two weeks to wait if 2.42 is possible.

I'm happy about my Brands Hatch laptime of 1.40.xxx.

Better than I had expected.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen that on the YTCC grid is Graham Miller listed with a TR8. Maybe he's driving his old yellow peril?

Would be great to see him again, after some years now.

Today I've tested my new polish:

65309384_2299682300066931_74481762013166

TR8 lurking in the dark.....driven by a sinister

Edited by MadMarx

I was talking to Graham at the Donington Historic Festival. The yellow peril is now owned by Alan Price whose TR7V8 race car was destroyed by fire in a race at Silverstone about 3 years ago.

Graham is racing the car until Alan gets his confidence back..

Mike

Very nice race Christian, have you changed the set up much from Brands Hatch ?

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

for testing I had set the front dampers from run to run harder.

But I'm not sure that harder damping did do well as the car started bouncing.

I need to look deeper into this.

The good thing, I came closer to my desired laptime. 2:44 is not too bad under this very hot conditions with ambient temperatures of about 36°C.

I broke the watt link braket:

65544667_2313670598668101_23271794489625

62343008_2313670682001426_63674959907939

Glad you had a reasonably successful weekend Christian.

In the CSCC Classic race, after a promising qualifying session, 11th out of 58 on a 3- 02, I broke the camshaft sprocket in Eau Rouge on the first lap of race 1. Weekend over.

None of the 4 TRs which started finished the weekend. Very high rate of attrition.

Dave McD

Dave, what a nightmare !!!

after all that work to get to the race and it doesn’t happen hope it all rebuildable without toooooo much hassle and expense.

Oh dear.

Yes, Chris Edwards showed up at my place and asked for a valve spring, which I unfortunately didn't have.

But next time I have. I put some in my box.

Sorry Dave, that you camshaft broke.

Another good reason to stay away from high revs.

The TR4 shifts at about 6k and the TR8 about 5.5k.

Edited by MadMarx

I could not be there in the end. No TR finishers, blimey, just when I think I have my 4 reliable.

I get the 6k on the 4 Chris (std crank I believe), but 5.5 on the V8, seems very low for an RV8 unless a long stroke one (5.0+).

Angelsey next for me.

The V8 has not much power, but much torque and at a very low point.

Shifting at 5.5k doesn't hurt the performance.

At least, fast enough to beat a 996 GT3

+ 1 for driving the Rover on Torque, I used 6000 revs on the 3.9 litre and didn't get much return over that.

Mick Richards

Some logging date:

max lateral G force: 1.8G

max longitudinal G force: 1.2 G

Top Speed: 248 kph

Estimated min laptime: 2.41.5 (if all sectors would be perfect)

My problem caused by harmonic crank damper failing, probably due to very high temperatures at high revs when the internal rubber O rings disintegrate, passing vibrations via timing chain into camshaft. It also broke the 2 teeth off the bottom of the distributor drive dog.

It may have already started to fail in qualifying as I threw a fan belt in qualifying.

I'll go with a higher ratio diff next time.

Trying to get it ready for Anglesey.

Dave

Despite the problems and only doing 5 flying laps in qualifying and no race laps, my TR6 recorded the 6th fastest overall speed in our Classic event. That's qualifying and both races, with the speed trap somewhere near the end of the 1.1 km long Kemmel Straight I assume.

205.7 kph = 127.8 mph, so the car was well in contention in my class.

Fastest speed for the event was a Chevrolet Camaro at 218.6 kph = 135.8 mph.

Dave McD

Edited by Dave McDonald
On 7/3/2019 at 9:02 PM, MadMarx said:

The V8 has not much power, but much torque and at a very low point.

Shifting at 5.5k doesn't hurt the performance.

At least, fast enough to beat a 996 GT3

You seemed to used 6k a few times in the Spa vid, but I understand where you are coming from with Rovers (unless bonkers money engines, like they use in MGBV8's now with split plane cranks they are all torque and not big power - those guys rev to 7k+ but they do not seem to be reliable, they do get 400bhp from a 3.9 - 4 litre, but then if they then destroy themselves what is the point!). Imagine one of those in your car.

I had similar experience with 2x 5ltr ones in my Chimaera’s in the early 2000’s, only made about 280bhp but very good torque (advertised as 320bhp and 320 ft/lbs which always used to really annoy me), they felt like they were just about to grenade themselves at the red line. Mind the larger RV8 are made just on stroking them as a pretty compact little engine, so a 5litre revving at 6 is a lot different to a 4.0 doing the same. Had a mate back I the day (mid 2000’s) who had a 5.5 one from V8 Developments in the UK, made about 340bhp but well over 400ft/lbs. Mind I’d given up on them and sold my second RV8 in 2nd Chim after cam went (and repaired at <25k miles!) and did the first LS conversion of a TVR in the UK (https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=11916), the thing was an absolute Monster (with a real 400bhp & torque).

Your car must have long gears Chris and obviously pulls crazy G’s in the corners with the steam rollers tyres (where most of the laptime must be coming from). Make my current TVR look silly on 225/60x15’s, wobbling about! Power is utterly bonkers, but when it don’t go round corners (well relative to my TR6!), but working on this….

I’ll likely stick with a lowish 6.3ish change point in the TR4 even though I could probably run a lot higher with the good stuff in the engine now i.e. 67-6800+ (and did last year at Mallory in its first full 40 min race with no issues - well through the kink I'd have lost too much time changing up then down!).

I feel for you Dave. Doing Angelsey?

I go beyond 5.5k if there are long straights. I'm running a 3.6 axle.

The engine pulls good from 3k upwards. Very relaxed driving. High gear and letting the engine doing the job.

66252022_2323309667704194_16530460035671

65826156_2323309097704251_20923770958784

66393636_2323308771037617_48324970559832