Now that BUO is finally finished, we were planning to get some miles on her ( weather permitting!) thinking of North of Scotland. So in preparation for this I took my life in my hands and passed the keys to my wife for her first test drive. Now she has driven the car before all be it 20+ years ago but she didn't even get to the end of the drive before she declared that she couldn't drive the car because the brakes weren't up to her 'expectations' 

Now I appreciate that a 50 year old car isn't going to be up to the spec of the Euro boxes she's been driving but the system is all new fully rebuilt, brakes are bedded in, rear brakes adjusted Etc so any thoughts on what I might do to improve the situation ? 

Currently the car is fitted with Moss 'standard' Gold brake pads was wondering if as a first step Fitting the Hawk HPS pads might be a good move. ? ( she's saying there's no 'bite' to the brakes) 

Moving on from that I was thinking of a vacuum pump alternator for the servo as the cam is a long duration one and sure I've read somewhere this can affect the amount of vacuum available for the servo but have no idea if this is a solution looking for a problem ??? or if it will achieve what I want ! 

Failing the might have to Exchange the wife for one with more powerful thighs :wub:

Graham, 

I will spare my comments regarding exchange the wife for a new one. 

My girlfriend drives my TR regularly...comes from a BMW so a lot of difference there. I have Mintex 1144 front and standard pads at the rear. My girlfriend is not complaining, except maybe her hair getting all messed up. 

Jochem

Definitely ditch those pads, the Hawk are very good and check your vacuum at the servo as your right if you have an odd cam then you wont be seeing much vacuum, there is an electric vacuum pump from an Audi that someone on here has used.

Stuart.

I'm sure you would notice a marked improvement changing from those pads. As Stuart has already said the Hawks HPS would be my suggestion,although you'll have to wait a while as Cambridge Motorsport are closed this week. They also sell them through their eBay shop at a lower price, which I find irritating .

Anybody know of another UK supplier. In the states they cost $68.

Cameron

Hi Graham,

I am not an expert on brakes and the various pads but I would have thought that no pad would work that well simply moving along the driveway.

But at such a low speed it would stop on a sixpence even with wooden blocks in there.

Most good pads like to be a little warm at least ( that is my understanding)

I would go for the servo not doing its job before attacking the pads.

I assume the rear shoes are working OK. Have you tried pulling the handbrake on when applying the foot pedal.

I like the idea of a young lady with 'thighs'. Russian shot putter comes to mind.

Roger 

OK thanks guys, think I have a plan which will be in order of cheapest first 

Check over again to make sure I'm getting full bang for my buck out of the existing set up 

Replace pads with something more suitable, looking back at the bills I have the ones fitted where £7 a set so if they are doing anything more than spacing the pistons from the disc will be surprised

If the above fails to deliver then I'm either into servo vacuum pump solution or Tinder ! ( for that Russuian shot putter!)  

I had the OPEL CORSA diesel alternator in use that can be obtained with a

vaccuum pump for the brake booster. Not an easy job because the pump

needs oil to work and the pumped air mus be guided back to the engine sump.

I was on a 290 degree Kent cam and the difference was noticeable.

It is not that the car does not brake, the problem is that the switch between modern daily driver

with ABS brake and big booster makes such a huge difference to feel unsafe.

Right now I am on the double 9" disphragm booster from Volvo. That gives

pressure forces like a modern car.

Swapping to a strange brake pad at the front is not recommended. The front might brake

more but the rear is not affectetd by that, it will brake less than needed. So the result is a

bad brake balance that under dangerous conditions will not give the shortest way to stop.

Andreas, I would really like to try the vented brakes part. The only problem I see is the availability of vented brakes discs and the fact to install a spacer on the calipers. The spacer is doable, but the little o-rings seem to cause problems.  I mean, getting quality good ones. 

Jochem

Someone in NL sells the volvo brake booster including the 2 new brake pipes which is a straight fit to a TR6 I’m told. Have not bought it yet.

Waldi