They do look good without bumpers don't they, mines in BRG.

Although comparing them against a TR5 at this pricing which normally carries a £20k uplift and only had about 1300 examples built originally, whereas there are multiple thousands still remaining of the TR4 means unless somebody falls in love with this particular car...it's expensive.

Micky

As our Alec would have said,

"A fool and his money"  it's worth what someone will pay, personally, if it's as good in the flesh I'm with the thinking

that it's the best part of 20k too much.

John.

To incorporate the modifications listed would not be cheap, so if one wanted a car including all those, might be worthwhile.

Personally, I would not have fitted wire wheels - might look good when clean and before the spokes start to loosen, but thereafter a pain in the a..e.

Tony tells me that a rally-prepared TR4, very similar to his "Beastie" (although not as quick nor as well-sorted) recently changed hands for some £70k.  If one wants to rally in a TR and be competitive, then a TR4 is undoubtedly the one to choose, as Tony, Jonathan Hancox and others have shown.

Ian Cornish

Yes Ian, 

but the fundamental mistake folk make is that anything is worth what it costs - it ain't!

it might cost what it cost, but it's worth what someone will pay for it, no denying that to put a tr4 together might cost close to the asking price,  but it's still only worth what a punter will pay. Interestingly you are already commenting on how you might have done things differently, me too, agree wholeheartedly, only good thing about wire wheels is how they look, so if we're looking at said car, it's having wires is a minus for us, and on it would go?

John

Never mind the spec, judging by the panel fit at the front I wouldnt bother.

Stuart.

27 minutes ago, stuart said:

Never mind the spec, judging by the panel fit at the front I wouldnt bother.

Stuart.

Never mind the panel gap Stuart. The wheels are so far outside of the arches it’ll need a wide load sign on the back ! A result of the splined hubs I suppose ?

7 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Never mind the panel gap Stuart. The wheels are so far outside of the arches it’ll need a wide load sign on the back ! A result of the splined hubs I suppose ?

Or repro front wings as they arent as wide over the arch allied with centre laced wires which offset more.

Stuart.

I would love to know what the dealer gave the previous owner for it! 

I like 'em without bumpers....but I'm biased.

Strange distributor cap? Is that the special one you need if you set the distributor shaft 180 degrees out?

Three hundred amps would make that battery retaining strap glow very nicely.

What do you expect for your money? perfection?

Rog

Dealer most probably got it on SOR as the owners wants say £45k ,no risk to the dealer only costs would be cleaning &advertising,many dealers do this ,nothing wrong with it though ,if it doesn't sell then maybe a deal  will be done between themselves.

Nick

Years ago a powder blue TR4 fetched well over that figure on Barrett Jackson Auctions. It too had a Chinese lower valance, aftermarket steering wheel and 4-5 other deviations from original which I saw ( must be more! ) and no go-faster goodies like Webered engine, etc. nor Surrey hardtop.

Will news someday that TRs are fetching what they cost to restore be taken badly? From the comments here it would seem so ^_^. Either way, 2X the asking price has been spent restoring TRs to very high standards, surpassing factory quality of course.

Tom

On 14 June 2019 at 2:13 PM, had17462 said:

Dealer most probably got it on SOR as the owners wants say £45k ,no risk to the dealer only costs would be cleaning &advertising,many dealers do this ,nothing wrong with it though ,if it doesn't sell then maybe a deal  will be done between themselves.

Nick

My 4 has pretty well the same spec (no limited slip diff) & must be close to that condition & without the wire wheels (nice genuine Minilites) & I would probably sell in the region of £45k, so if anybody wants to talk about it then ? Doubt whether they will get near £53k!

I thought the aftermarket  brake servo was meant to be installed with the white filter pointing straight downwards + or - 10-15 deg ?

38 minutes ago, Mark1965TR4aBRG said:

..remember the old Carlos Fandango ads on the telly....

Good to see they have a sense of humour which is sadly lacking these days...

I fear these days they would not be allowed in case of offence to various peoples, we live in a world where non can be given offence unless you are of certain ethnic or gender background.

Mick Richards