Hi Everyone,

Why do I always find jobs not referred to in various workshop manuals??  Yesterday on a good hill climbing day out in S Wales more than once we experienced very obvious bottoming out. I was trying to assess if the bump stops have turned round with the raised surfaces pointing to front/back instead of up/down.  The parts book seems to show the shoulders [with the hole] pointing upwards.  Can anyone supply a decent shot or diagram which will give me confidence to know I have got it right?  Also, I am considering fitting poly bumps. Is this a good idea?

I attach a shot of the NS which shows the hole in the bump stop pointing backwards not downwards. Should the rubber be under the check strap?

Best wishes     Willie

P1100688.JPG

Beat me to it.

In the WSM for the 4 and 4A pub number 510322, it shows on page 4.113 the hole should be uppermost and inside the bump stop hoop, not what actually hold it in that position.

I could send a photo if needed.

John

Willie as others have said,

directly under the check straps with the hole at 12 O, Clock,

i also found wiring them alone meant they rotated,  now fixed with silicone on the axle tube and strong cable ties.

never moved.

John.

I took a few pics on both sides. Here are the clear shots of the slightly differing issues both sides.  NS - outboard & turned 90 degrees    OS - slid inboard.

Poly units on order and silicone lined up!

Once again, my grateful thanks to everyone who contributed.    Willie

NS Bump stop out of position ringed.jpg

OS Bump stop upright but slid inboard_LI.jpg

6 hours ago, Willie said:

I took a few pics on both sides. Here are the clear shots of the slightly differing issues both sides.  NS - outboard & turned 90 degrees    OS - slid inboard.

Poly units on order and silicone lined up!

Once again, my grateful thanks to everyone who contributed.    Willie

NS Bump stop out of position ringed.jpg

OS Bump stop upright but slid inboard_LI.jpg

Is it me or should that handbrake cable be below the brake pipe Bracket and held away from the brake pipe by a spring attached to the trans/propshaft tunnel?

cheers

Peter W

Vital that handbrake cable is kept clear of hydraulic flexible - a good MOT man ought to spot this and insist that something must be done to ensure separation, remembering that the axle can move up and down whilst motoring.

If the handbrake cable were to rub the hydraulic flexible, it would wear through the armouring and then the inner, leading to brake failure.

I cannot comment on routing as my hydraulic connection is taken through the right side of the body, alongside the sill (so that it cannot be ripped off) and the handbrake is mounted on the prop.shaft tunnel.

Ian Cornish

Hi All,

Supplementary question. Bump stops replaced.  Today I repositioned the handbrake cable to remove risk of contact with brake hose.  Attached and shots before and after. Where does the spring go? Currently the cable is relying on the stiffness of the outer cable from where it passes through the chassis rail to the fulcrum arm. Try as I might, I just couldn't locate anywhere it would go to hold the cable in any position!!

Advice gratefully received.

Best wishes    Willie

P1100750.JPG

P1100760.JPG

Thanks Marcel. Obviously the wire was in that section between exit from chassis aperture and pivot arm.  Not being serious, the most obvious spot was the prop rear U/J!! Shot of spring attached - wide end cradles the outer cable, but the barrow hook's location is beyond me!

Best wishes    Willie

P1100769 - Copy.JPG

Willie,

There is a very small tab attached to the chassis (Or is it the body) near the transmission tunnel, that the other end of the spring attaches to.

I only know this because I’ve spent ages looking under the car at other things and found that “tab” and wondered what it was there for.

Mine is a 3A, but I guess the 4 is similar.

Seek and ye shall find.

(Unless the bloke in the factory who was supposed to weld it on forgot to do it. Or it has been knocked off by a passing boulder.)

Charlie.

Thanks Charlie. Methinks that boulder got in on the act. I looked and fumbled all over the rear end where my newly liberated cable might want to flap aboiut, but nothing! I even wondered if the narrow end of the spring attached to the greasing point on the outer cable, but there was still nowhere for the larger end to go!!

Best wishes    Willie

12 hours ago, Willie said:

Thanks Charlie. Methinks that boulder got in on the act. I looked and fumbled all over the rear end where my newly liberated cable might want to flap aboiut, but nothing! I even wondered if the narrow end of the spring attached to the greasing point on the outer cable, but there was still nowhere for the larger end to go!!

Best wishes    Willie

Marcels picture above shows the rough location of the small tab for the spring to attach to, its on the body at the rear lowest edge of the tunnel on the right hand side often lost when replacing floors badly. The larger end of the spring then just cradles the cable by the grease nipple.

Stuart.