Battery spec for 4A

I cannot find the correct specification battery listing anywhere for my TR4A. The one installed currently is obviously not man enough to turn the engine over when hot as the fan sucks out too much power. Anyone help?

Like many members (including Roger), I have a battery from Halfords as they are good value and there's no quibble should there be a problem.  For example, the battery in my Citroen estate went down during the guarantee period, and Halfords replaced it immediately.

The battery fitted to my TR4, which has uprated engine with higher compression, is MB096, 640CCA, 70Ah, 3 year guarantee. This cost £75 in 2015.

Looking at the Halfords on-line catalogue, I can't find this code number, but there's a great range.  Of course, the catalogue has never heard of any Triumph older than TR6!

I'm sure Roger will appear soon with advice.

Ian Cornish

Hi,

I think Halford's have had a re-shuffle of their stock.

I am sure mine is a HCB072 at about £100. Can't see it in their listing.

Basically get something in size that fills the battery tray.   

Make sure the battery posts are the right way round for your set up.

Roger

+1for euro parts if you can a human being to look at anything other

than a Reg No. 

When I needed a replacement for my S Type, original did nine years, and is still

man enough to spin the TR, they had four choices, from cheapo to best, and all in stock, and doing lots of 50% weekends at 

the minute.

John.

+1 for the Varta Blue Dynamic, excellent batteries, the same as Bosch, which are made in the same factory. I use the G8 in my 4A, this has the correct terminal orientation and  is the largest that will fit. It has a 95AH capacity. The Battery Megastore product code is 334. I prefer the extra reserve capacity since I am still running with a dynamo.

Tim

I bought in late March a E24 Varta Blu Dynamic 70 AH (069 071 072) from Tanya @ £75 inc delivery. 

On 6/10/2019 at 7:21 AM, salec said:

I cannot find the correct specification battery listing anywhere for my TR4A. The one installed currently is obviously not man enough to turn the engine over when hot as the fan sucks out too much power. Anyone help?

Am I the only one here who questions a.) what battery you have fitted and what's it condition that it doesn't turn over a hot engine.?   b.) How come the small electric motor in you fan is drawing so much current ?   And c.) perhaps the correct* specification for a TR4A battery is unsuitable because it was not assigned to power an electric fan. 

Edited by Bfg

I agree. the fan is not the problem.  The engine should be much easier to crank over when hot.

Thinks to check would be battery age / condition, Is the starter motor behaving correctly, is there something else that makes the the engine hard to spin when hot (partial seizure etc)

Bob.

Yep,  it seems likely to me that the starter motor, or somewhere in the wiring is not working when hot. 

I just looked it on-line up for you.. Might I respectfully suggest you start reading < here >. 

I'd also recommend you consider the size and length and end connections of battery to starter cable and also your primary earth leads from the battery to the motor. 

Peter

Thanks to everyone that replied.  The battery was shot. The three hour turning off and on in the very slow traffic queue at the tunnel helped to bury it ... and the same thing around the town in Laon laid it to rest. I have since upgraded to a new battery with a much beefier ah capacity.  Now turns over like a goodan ... In fact it has never started so well.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, Bfg said:

Yep,  it seems likely to me that the starter motor, or somewhere in the wiring is not working when hot. 

I just looked it on-line up for you.. Might I respectfully suggest you start reading < here >. 

I'd also recommend you consider the size and length and end connections of battery to starter cable and also your primary earth leads from the battery to the motor. 

Peter

Thanks, this was very helpful. The battery eventually would not hold a charge. Replaced and fixed the problem ... though I think this article probably goes a long way to explain the initial problem. 

• 4 years later...

Any updated suggestions on a replacement battery for a TR4A?.   I charged my battery recently as it hadn’t run in a while ( feels like it’s been bad weather for some time) and it has been cold, but even after fully charging ( according to my trickle charger) it barely turned over the engine and wouldn’t do it a second time.  I’ve charged it again and noted that chamber number three isn’t bubbling during charging whereas the other five are.  I had wondered if these modern chargers with desulphating features might revive it but they’re expensive themselves.  Or perhaps those Granville bat aid tablets.

It’s currently a Unipart model GBA3069, 72A/hr EN 590 R/C 130 with the terminals at the front ( nearest the engine).  I have a vague recollection that it was picked as suitable for a TR6 as that was the oldest car in the catalogue, but I may be imagining that.   I run a 40A alternator but no significant additional loads.

Thanks,

Paul

It does sound like duff cell Paul. A smart charger might be able to reclaim it but there is no guarantee of that. The GBA3069 is OK for a TR and that one had 590 Cold Cranking Amps.  A number of makers have equivalents in 069 size but you need to go for the highest CCA rating you can get.   

Unless your alternator can generate 14.8 volts at normal driving speeds (Lucas types can't)  there is no point in buying a  more expensive 'calcium' battery as the alternator will not be able to charge it fully.  Although the battery would work you wouldn't get the full capacity you paid for and the battery life will probably be shortened.  You can't charge them properly with an old style charger either, for the same reason. 

https://carbatterygeek.co.uk/calcium-battery-charger-silver-calcium-charging/

AGM batteries are not suitable either - they are for modern cars with stop-start systems and again the old style alternator cannot charge them properly. 

Edited by RobH

Thanks Rob,

my alternator is a Nippon Denso unit from Bastuck as per this link    I’m quite happy with a standard lead acid battery but the few I’ve seen online so far under the 096 model appear to be silver coloured and not black which would be preferable for the slightly more original look.   I’m aware you can get original black rubber but they’re too expensive for me.   The (black) one I have in now is fine, if it worked, or if I can find something similar.

Paul

On 6/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, salec said:

Thanks to everyone that replied.  The battery was shot. The three hour turning off and on in the very slow traffic queue at the tunnel helped to bury it ... and the same thing around the town in Laon laid it to rest. I have since upgraded to a new battery with a much beefier ah capacity.  Now turns over like a goodan ... In fact it has never started so well.

"The three hour turning off and on in the very slow traffic queue at the tunnel helped to bury it ..." so your problem is not your battery but the fact you can't recharge it in very slow trafic, at low rpm with the fan going On and Off.  

I wonder if many of the starting problems are due to ignition or fuel issues rather than the battery. My 4A has a modern battery rated at 430CCA and never fails to start. It is about half the size of the original battery. It has 87mm liners so higher compression than standard. It also has a geared starter, electronic  ignition, electric fan and a 45amp ND alternator. When I was rebuilding the car 20 years ago, a very experienced mechanic advised me not to use the original sized battery as it contributed to the pendulum effect which causes scuttle shake. With 2 hernias in my 78 years, I am more than happy to follow his advice. Just back from the TSOA Nationals where we travelled 1550km in a .week with no problems. 

8 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

I’m quite happy with a standard lead acid battery but the few I’ve seen online so far under the 096 model appear to be silver coloured and not black

Standard battery in black, 4 year guarantee (this is an 069 as per your first post -  an 096 is physically bigger) :

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/powerline/069/

catalogue with sizes listed:

https://www.lincon.co.uk/documents/Automotive & Commercial - Lincon - Web.pdf

Edited by RobH

If you have a trade card from Halfords (They are very easy to get even if your not) then it gives you a very good saving on their batteries and Ive found them to be very good with a no quibble guarantee.

Stuart.

I’m not quite sure what the 069 actually signifies but Halfords offering  with that number appears to be a calcium battery, though the web page is somewhat confusing, also stating lead acid.  It also states:

Startup Power: 550Amps

Capacity: 68Ah

Reserve Capacity: 125Amps

Bench Charge: 5Amps

Average Weight: 18.30kg

Dimensions (LxDxH): 261x175x220mm

I’ll have to look for that Halfords discount as I’d not seen it before.

Paul

Edit

think I’ve just worked out the calcium bit by reading the data at RobH’s link above.

Edited by PaulAnderson

Mine is 235x125x225mm and weighs 11.9kg. Quite a difference when you are lifting into the middle of the car! Much harder for me to lose 6kg than to fit a lighter battery. ^_^