Hi Barry,

I also wanted to fit an anti roll bar  on my TT4A and asked a good friend of mine what to buy.

He asked me: "Does your TR roll?"

I had to tell him: " Indeed, it does not!"

So he answered: "So please,.....what was your question?"

So I still have no anti roll bar on my TR.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Barry

try Revington TR they sponsor the club sprint and hill climb champs and carry a big range.

the likes of TR Enterprises prepare a good number of competition cars so should also be able to help.

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Hi Barry,

I also wanted to fit an anti roll bar  on my TT4A and asked a good friend of mine what to buy.

He asked me: "Does your TR roll?"

I had to tell him: " Indeed, it does not!"

So he answered: "So please,.....what was your question?"

So I still have no anti roll bar on my TR.

Ciao, Marco

Hi Marco,

the OP was enquiring about a 'roll over' bar to protect the driver.

But it was nice to hear about your anti roll bar story.

Roger

Hi Marco,

One stiffens the car from below. The other stiffens from above in the case of a Sky, grass, sky, grass, sky, grass situation. LMAO!

I have one for my TR2 but probably wont fit it unless I intend to drive it like it was stolen!!!

Kind of pointless unless wearing four harness and a helmet, 

Hi Barry,

As a point of note you will probably need to alter any Tonneau cover you have to accommodate the Roll over bar or have one specially made to suit the particular installation on your car!

My wife rolled her MG metro 30 years ago and landed it on the passenger door pillar and all glass was still in after that. She nearly managed a full 360. My wife and son (strapped in baby) and my dog all survived with barely a scratch but the dog had a cut eyebrow!

Barry not sure where you are in the country but I've got one in the shed if you want to try one in your car before you buy one. its the type that sits on the floor behind the seats not on the rear shelf so you need to be aware that you will loose seat travel 

I think that TR drivers need to know that rolling your TR is a circumstance that quite often happens at speeds less than 30mph. Swerving to miss a hedgehog/dog/cat/person, going off-road to avoid an oncoming car, that's all it takes.

You don't need to " drive it like you stole it" and and that isn't a valid reason for not fitting one. Your car, your decision but remember for all drivers...likely your relatives inside with you also. Alec Pringle posted of enough examples sometimes with sad results, I've seen maybe 3 TRs roll in competition, and in all examples the speed had been scrubbed off and was far below 30 mph and drivers were sat inside thinking " that was lucky" when the car travelled onto the grass and the wheel dug in and it went over seemingly in slow motion, inertia is a powerful force. If you pair the rear roll cage with a rear of cockpit alloy fire screen sealed in, you will have taken a major step forward in TR safety which far exceeds the addition of multi piston disc callipers and the other ephemera.

Mick Richards

Good points Mick!

You triggered me I think last year or so in the fire wall, and now probably also in a roll over bar!

Cheers,

Waldi

It doesn’t take high speeds or crazy driving. 

Just someone else completely out of your control 

Ps

it passed its mot 6 weeks before this  

pps

Thankfully the original posted Barry is looking to fit a roll bar  

well done Barry.

Edited by Hamish
Ps

I fitted a roll bar to my TR when I bought it as I had previously rolled two V8 Toledo's, one sideways and one end over end.

The first time the roof held up, on the second one only the drivers door pillar held up, the car was upside down and the rest of the roof was on the tops of the doors with not enough room to get out of the car which was not much fun with petrol pi55ing out everywhere!

Thanks to a 4 point harness I only got a dose of whiplash and a bruised knee where it hit the ignition key, but then deciding to buy a convertible I thought a bit of roll over protection might be a good idea!

My roll bar came from a USA TR6 and I have no idea what make it is, the tonneau cover did require a bit of tailoring work to fit around the bar.

Neil

• 9 months later...

The footage is the best evidence. I notice that in the US the TRs you see in the photos tend not to have one. Originality strikes again! 

I had one on my first TR, but removed it, out of sheer ignorance.

At the time, I thought it looked nicer without. How irresponsible can you get? All the more so, because I was rallying it too.

The motoring industry, generally, has become far more aware, and so have motorists. Volvo was a glowing exception for years for what has now become the accepted norm. 

So, if we accept that level of safety for a modern car, all the more reason to embrace it for a Classic. And anyway, some roll over bars are effective, but discreet.

Edited by David Brancaleone
Spotted a typo