Warning...Idiot Question.. ;-)

Apologies in advance for this question... I have searched without any luck although perhaps I haven't used the correct search terms.

I have a restored TR4 and it has Stromberg carbs. The two air cleaners have a tube from each centre that join and then connects to the rocker cover. I have been looking to replace my air filters but all the similar 'pancake' filters I find do not have this hole cut out of the cover to attach the hoses.

My question is 'what is the purpose of this connection to the rocker cover as I see photos of TR4 engines both with and without this attachment! Is it needed?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Andrew (mechanical dummy)

carbs.jpg

Early cars vent the crankcase gases directly out via a dog-leg tube near the fuel pump. They do not have the pipe work you refer to.

later cars, rather than vent straight out, use the hole in the rocker-cover the route the crankcase gases to the carb inlets so that they are burnt. This was all part of making the car a bit more environmentally-friendly back in the 60’s 

..... Andy 

You can delete this setup, install the pancake filters and run a rubber hose plugged in the rocker cover on one end and let lose down to the chassis on the other end. Blow-bys will be released to atmosphere and your air/fuel mixture will improve.

PS: Do your new paint job a favor in adding a battery tray...

Edited by Geko
add

Hi Andrew,

it may be that the filter body may no longer be available - https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/fuel-system-induction-controls/air-filtration-induction/air-filters-tr4-4a.html

If this is the case then do as suggested above and duct straight into a catch tank form the rocker cover.

Can the filter body came apart and fit a new element inside.?

Roger