Alternator pulley alignment

Years ago I replaced the TR6 Lucas alternator with a 55A Bosch unit. It was only when looking at it this morning that it all looked a bit odd and the pulley did not line up with the water pump pulley. You can see in the pic below how the belt has to make a detour to get to the alternator pulley.

20190607_112543-4K.jpg

I removed the alternator and messed with the spacers to move the unit forward half an inch. That brought things into better alignment but I had to move the bolt for the adjustable bracket to the other side of the tab on the alternator.

20190607_115744-4K.jpg

I'm still not convinced that the alternator pulley is in the exact same plane as the water pump and crank damper but it looks better than it did before. I'm surprised that the water pump and or alternator did not bust a bearing as it has been like this for over 10 years.

Just wondering what others may have done when fitting a modern alternator to achieve the correct alignment ?

The rad shroud is off because I was taking care of some other issues at the same time.

Stan

1 minute ago, foster461 said:

It did feel 2hp quicker on the test drive

:lol::lol::lol:

Mick Richards

Hi Stan,

I have a 55A Bosch unit too.

I used a straight edge to align the 3 pulley’s. Be aware each pulley may have (has) a different rim thickness, and you will have to deduct/add that.

I also used shims (rings) to bring the pulley in alignment. You will probably also find that the water pump - and crank shaft pulley are not perfectly aligned, not much you can do here, so I left that as it was.

If you will look at your old belt you may find it is worn more on the sides (compare it with a new one). So replace that by a good quality new one. Note the length may differ from std with a non-standard alternator and don’t put the belt tension too high, the  bearings will be grateful.

Waldi

Good points about fan belt tension and replacing the fan belt Waldi, it looks ok but it is at least 11 years old. It is a 45.5 inch belt set with the tried and true method of measuring deflection after applying an unspecified amount of force.

Stan

Stan,

if you take the belt to an automotive parts store, they will be able to provide you with a new one, they are a commodity, nothing TR-specific.

Before removal of the old one, see if you can have a little longer or shorter, as they are available in many lengths.

Cheers,

Waldi