I have started to strip the bonnet back to bare metal and need to remove the 'felt' stuff under the stiffening rails on the underside of the bonnet. I assume that it just pulls out, but before removing it I wanted to source some replacements. I couldn't find any reference to it in the Moss catalogue, so could some kind person point me in the right direction please? Also when refitting the new stuff is it glued in or just held by compression. Any other tips on fitting would be appreciated. 

Many thanks

Tim

I was able to reuse the originals - the stuff lasts forever. I glued it into position with 3M Contact Cement.

As for what it is, I guess horsehair. There may be a suitable carpet underlayment that gives a decent facsimile, but doubt it will come in black.

Cheers,

Tom

Save what you have if possible and re-use. it was originally just held in by compression.

Stuart.

Many thanks both. I will try to clean up what has come out but the PO had under sealed the underside of the bonnet so the edges of the felt are rock solid and now only about 8mm thick. If not reusable I was thinking about some 12mm thick black closed cell neoprene sponge?

Cheers,

Tim