6 pin hazard with 4 pin wiring

hi all

My CC 1970 has a rocker type hazard with six pins and has never worked (can I say import test with local country inspector was creative as he was more into taking car for a spin than checking - say no more....).  As you can see from the two attachments they differ in wiring and I struggle to get the hazard to work, and I am sure, one day I will need it to work!!

My existing rocker has a total of six pins, four pins in a circle at top and two pins at the bottom.  Last but not least - -I cant find the traficator bulb (green and red/green and white looking at wiring diagram) but can fine a green and white, going into a lucas bullet that then splits to another two green and whites and that then disappears into the etha.

Would so much appreciate help and advice.

Rich

4 pin hzard.png

6 pin hazard.png

Are any wires connected to the six pin switch? If you indicators work, you should either be able to find the said wires or replicate them using the wiring diagram. 

I imagine the difference between the diagrams is one is early the other late? The six pin being the early style? 

Gareth

Hi

I have also no indicators and nothing connected to the 6 pin hazard.

I have a good flashing unit (tested off batter) and also ran a direct live to the flasher and the lights do not come on at all.

Rich

So the hazards have there own flasher unit, I'd first concentrate on getting the indicators working first. 

If you have tested the indicator flasher off the car and found it working then the next step is to see that the wire from the flasher goes to the indicator switch and can then pass to the bulbs, ultimately  being earthed at the bulb end. 

If you get a super cheap multimeter you can test for 12v at each stage and see where it stops. 

Gareth

A bit of a deviation from the topic, but just a word of caution about using multimeters to fault-find on cars.  These meters draw next-to-no current from the circuit you are tracing which means they can mislead by showing voltage where there is in fact a bad joint which will not pass sufficient current to drive a real load.  For simple voltage-tracing it is better to use a 12v bulb (say a sidelamp or festoon bulb) with wires attached, as that presents a load which will show where a bad joint exists.

Thanks

One finding just, the 70s wiring has one bulb for both the hazard and indicator bulb.  The 72 has two bulbs for hazard bulb and indicator, so redundancy I guess!

What I am struggling with now is adapting the 70s wiring to the 6 pin socket.  I have to get there eventually...

Rich

+1 for what RobH said.

Just search ebay for “12 volt test lamp”.

I’ve had one of the pencil-like metal bodied ones for 20 years. A blunt cap at the end can be unscrewed to reveal a sharp point.

I guess it can help identify 99% of electrical problems like the one you have.

Charlie.

+1 for Robs experience.

You can also measure voltage while the circuit is live, say at a front light bulb. You should measure a voltage close to that of the battery voltage, if you measure 1V less this is already a reason for a further search.

Waldi

I've just noticed your subject says 6 pin hazard with four pin wiring, the difference being the four pin has the addition of a relay. 

Do you have this relay and all the wires that relate to the four pin set up and want to use the 6 pin hazard switch? 

For just the indicators to work, you'll notice on the four pin diagram you have a green wire that goes to the indicator relay after which becomes light green and brown (LG/N) and the connects to the four pin hazard switch and then on to the indicator switch.

So if you can find these LG/N connectors and join them together you'll complete that part of the circuit for the indicators. If you want to connect them via the six pin hazard you'll need to connect them to pins 7 & 8. If you have the purple and purple and red cables the connect them to pins 1 and 2 of the 6 pin hazard switch...this is assuming you have the four pin wiring and extra relay. 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Hi Gareth

Same thinking here but was going to use 7+8 and 2+4 of the six pin hazard.  I found 1+2 had my test bulb flicker for a moment only during switching?  I have not been able to figure the full logic of what is open/closed on all pins yet.

Rich

Sounds like it should work, let us know if you manage to get it all sorted. 

Cheers

Gareth

hi Gareth and others

Thing with these old cars, you go to fix and then find another. . . so I had originally realised I had no blinkers and thoughts I would re-do the hazard and simultaneously do the blinkers as its all connected.

I know think I am there on the blinkers BUT the way I found what the blinker issue was, was by removing or undoing the indicator arm where I can see the wires are bust right at where the join the plastic.  I now though cannot see how I can pull the wires out!  Do you know how I can do this ?  There is a plate under but it seems quite stuck.

Also I correct myself, it seems they did have two bulbs, one for flasher one for hazard and I am missing the flasher bulb.

Thanks guys

Rich

I've never removed the indicator switch, have you looked on the Moss site for the diagram showing it, might give you a clue how it fits unless someone else comes along who can help. 

Gareth