Northumbria Group's Yorkshire Dales Tour - May 2019

Northumbria Group's 4 day tour of the Yorkshire Dales covered in excess of 350 miles, visiting many of the famous landmarks and places of interest. The route included narrow roads, hairpins and gradients with the odd ford thrown in, but nothing too demanding.

Day 1:- 60 miles. From the meet-up point at Raby Castle the first days incursion into the dales was via Gilling West, Richmond, Leyburn, with lunch stop at Berry's Farm Shop, then onto Aysgarth Falls, Askrigg, Thwaite and Tan Hill (highest pub in British Isles), and finally along Arkengarthdale to our base, The CB Inn.

Day 2:- 84 miles. Leaving the CB Inn via Reeth, Leyburn and then into Coverdale, before dropping down for coffee into Kettlewell in Wharfdale. Stunning single road scenery along the route to Mallam Tarn and Cove for the lunch stop before heading back out towards Ribblesdale and the Ribblehead Viaduct, then onto Hawes and a quick visit to the Wensleydale Creamery.  The route back to the CB Inn was via Castle Bolton.

Day 3:- 90 miles. Back over the fells to Leyburn but this time taking the Masham road with a stop-off at Jervaulx Abbey for coffee and a photo opportunity of the cars in front of the ruin (ask at the coffee shop for permission to do this). A right just before Masham along Nidderdale dropping down into Pately Bridge with watering holes along the way. Then onto Grassington via Stump Cross Caves, and back to Hawes via Gayle. Return route to the CB Inn from Hawes via Hardraw Falls (highest single waterfall in England), Askrigg and then over the fells to Swaledale and then Arkengarthdale taking in the watersplash along the way.

Day 4:- 80 miles. Return journey via Swaledale to Muker and then over the fells to Askrigg leading to Buttertubs Pass beyond Hawes, passing the now infamous Simonstone Hall Hotel where Clarkson lamped his producer - the rest is history! Onto Thwaite, Keld and Nateby for the lunch stop at th Fat Lamb Inn, well known for it's classic car friendly owner. Finally the return route to Kirkby Stephen, Brough and Middleton in Teesdale before the final leg over the moors from Stanhope to Edmundbyres.

The overall tour offers comfortable driving, stunning scenery with many points of interest and an abundance of watering holes, cafes, teas rooms and coffee shops. Attached is a copy of the Tulip Charts for each day's tour together with a 4 day overview. Feel free to use all or part of it and if you do - enjoy.

Dales Tour Day 1 mid Berrys.pdf Dales Tour Day 2.pdf Dales Tour Day 3.pdf Dales Tour Day 4 final.pdf Daily Overview with map.doc

Hi Tony,

I can only agree with you about the roads and the beauty of the Dales.  

Myself and Sue were there last week doing the 'Tornado' at the Wensleydale railway at Leeming Bar.

On the Thursday afternoon we popped up to the Tan Hill Inn. Couldn't get in. Filled to overflowing by the local farmers for some sheep type event. 

Thankfully plenty more pubs and Inns to get fed in.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Jan and I had a great couple of days driving all over the Yorkshire Dales a couple of years ago; sadly not in a TR.

I've wanted to see the Ribblehead Viaduct for years and it didn't disappoint - and then we also found the Dent Head viaduct quite by chance - mostly because I'd never heard of it!  We carried on up the tiny lanes along the river Dee and stopped for a pint in the very quirky village of Dent before heading on to the Lake District.

Even without a decent classic, we loved every minute of it.

Cheers,

Tim

DSC_0998 small.jpg

IMG_20170704_1754284 small.jpg

Tan Hill pub full of farmers. Can't believe it Roger....... Bet the carpark was full of John Deers, and probably the odd Fergy! Have not as yet enjoyed the rail link between Remire and Leeming Bar. Something on the 'to-do' list. Hopefully that line will be extended and you will be able to take a train deep into the Dales.

We ran out of time to visit Dent Tim. Definitely next time with the group, but I've been there a few times. Definitely quirky, long may it last. Is that a pint of Black Sheep?

Scottish Highland cattle in Yorkshire - it really has everything Marcel. I am guessing that may have been in Coverdale, en-route to or from Kettlewell. 20 TR's - would have been a wonderful sight. Our groups should have met up and driven some of those roads together. We're only 30 minutes from Scotch Corner. In fact judging by your rally plate I bet you came via our patch with DFDS from Amsterdam. Next time !

Tony