Rear brake squeak /chirp

Hello all.

here are the symptoms .... drive car for 20 minutes or so, then chirping sound starts from each back wheel area intermittently associated with suspension movement.  The key piece of evidence is that noise instantly stops when I lightly touch the brakes. Then gradually comes back after the brakes are released.

The hubs and drive shafts are new, no cracking to chassis or brackets, I’m running steel wheels and the rear bushes have been greased to oblivion so not the bushes.

whatchya fink?

cheers

dave

Hi Dave,

i had an irritation on my 4A years ago. The return springs for the shoes where rubbing (squeaking and twanging)  on the back plate.

I used silicon bath sealant to glue the spring in place.

Roger

Hello Roger.

hmm.... interesting.  Maybe the springs are the culprit as the chirping stops when I touch the brakes.  The return springs that are fitted have the hooks pointing inwards.  I have some new ones with the hooks pointing outwards but they look like they won’t stay on properly. Have I got the wrong springs fitted I wonder?

cheers

dave

I have had a similar noise, with the drum rubbing on the shoes in one place as it was rotated, checked the hub, it must have been one that had been reconditioned, and they machined the flange to correct the bend when they dismantled the hub, but still wasn't concentric/straight.  Brand new hubs not recon ones fixed the issue, now drum runs free all the way round.

Could the brake linings be catching on the wear ridge in the drum?

John

Thanks for your replies folks. 

Harry - I replaced one adjuster recently.  Squeaks no different. 

John - drums and shoes replaced recently too. Squeaks no different. 

Roger - when changing the shoes I kept the original springs. I did buy replacements but decided to not use as the two upper new springs were different lengths :(

it has to be something like that though. Any more thoughts anyone?

cheers

dave

Dave - just be careful this isn't a hub failure starting to happen - have a good read of the post headed "New rear wheel bearings?" in the TR4/4A forum - a squeak was the first sign of a hub failure on another members car and had, up to that point, defied all attempts to locate it's source till the hub broke and the rear wheel came off!

Don't know how to post the link here I'm afraid

Cheers

Rich

Dave - it certainly sounds like the back to me but I will have a look at the front tomorrow.

Rich - my hubs are new (3000 miles ago) quaife type so should be bullet proof.

i will give it another going over tomorrow evening looking closely at the handbrake actuating lever, springs, steady pins/clips and handbrake cable.  The fact that the noise stops immediately after lightly putting foot on the brake suggests to me it’s brake related.  Or is that too obvious?

cheers

dave

On 6/5/2019 at 7:25 AM, aardvark said:

Dave - it certainly sounds like the back to me but I will have a look at the front tomorrow.

Rich - my hubs are new (3000 miles ago) quaife type so should be bullet proof.

i will give it another going over tomorrow evening looking closely at the handbrake actuating lever, springs, steady pins/clips and handbrake cable.  The fact that the noise stops immediately after lightly putting foot on the brake suggests to me it’s brake related.  Or is that too obvious?

cheers

dave

My TR6 has the same symptoms. It is definitely brakes related. My car has Nissan hubs and axles.

I suspect the shoe return springs or something similar. I will pull the rear brakes down when I get home at the end of June and see what I can find.

Edited by John McCormack

Had exactly this situation a few days back. Took drums off and found that the “floating” brake cylinder wouldn’t — float.

Cleaned area with brake and clutch cleaner, applied small amount of copper grease and exercised the cylinder back and forth until it moved freely. No more squeak and the hand brake works better too.

Allan

Check the back plate doesnt have a groove worn in it where the handbrake lever swivels.

Stuart.