Metering unit removal

Hi all,

The plugs on my 5 are black and sooty even after a long run (Le Mans last year for example) and apart from drinking fuel, (the choke lever is fully in) I can’t be doing the engine much good (washing the bores) so have decided to remove the metering unit and have it rebuilt and calibrated by Neil Ferguson. The unit has been on the car for 25 years so is probably overdue for a little TLC.

Is there a best practice/procedure/sequence for removing and putting it back on the car?

All advice gratefully received

Many thanks

Paul

I think I would do a quick vacuum test on the metering unit, before you take it of, it may just be a diaphragm leaking, take off the vacuum pipe at the manifold and suck, you should be able to hold the vacuum by placing your tongue over the end of pipe.

Before you remove the MU turn engine to TDC on Compression on number 1 cylinder.

John

I undertook a replacement (also from Neil) two years ago after a little trepidation, but all went well and was relatively easy, and as John L says above, make sure engine is at TDC before removing the MU. The ‘worst’ bit was bleeding the injectors afterwards. As for timing the MU I just followed the description in the Haynes manual...

Hope all goes well!

Cheers

ian

Hi Paul,

If the other components have not been touched for many years too, I would also ask Neil to recondition the injectors, plastic hoses and PRV.

And send 1 or 2 extra injectors if you have them. 

Neil also supplied the O-rings for MU and 2 new lip seals for the pedestal.

That’s what I did, you won’t regret this.

Waldi

I too recommend a full refurb by Neil

since i had refurbed parts from him at the end of 2012 my car has done 10k ‘spirited’ miles with never a problem from the PI system

steve

Hi all,

I have had the injectors perfectly refurbished by Mike Bilney at a cost of £60 for the set. I hadn’t heard of him but he came recommended and didn’t disappoint. For future reference his number is 01580 712762 or 07809 061245 should anyone need the service.

Rgds

Paul