Something I learned about my 6 over the weekend .....

.... if the tyre is completely flat (as a result of what I believe to be a failed valve) the car sits too low to get a scissor jack (or at the least the one I had in the car). 

Luckily I was at a wedding and was able to borrow and electric pump to get enough air into the tyre to lift it enough to get a jack under but this isn't always going to be the case. 

Anyone else encountered this as an issue and have a solution? 

Hi Peter,

where were you putting the jack for it not to fit?

I agree there is not much room under there.

My problem with a flat rear was being able to turn the scissor jack screw.  It was at he bottom of its range and thus the most difficult to turn.

Plus it was a dark wet night.

The following day I bought an electric scissor jack from ebay.

These are effortless to operate and fit where a standard scissor jack should fit.

They also come in handy when removing the gearbox etc.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Peter,

where were you putting the jack for it not to fit?

I couldn't get it under the car at any point where I would feel comfortable jacking the car up (bearing in mind the car was essentially on the rim). 

Edited by Hawk
1 hour ago, Sapphire72 said:

You could carry a bicycle pump to raise the tyre enough to get a jack underneath. Or walk until you find an active wedding. ;)

I had a foot-pump but (as the valve had failed) I was unable to get enough air into the tyre to lift the car enough.

Like the idea of wedding crashing :)

Edited by Hawk

Luckily I was at a wedding and was able to borrow and electric pump

Reads as if weddings are the only events that are likely to have such equipment, and even more wonderment as to why such equipment is necessary at this type of event!!!!!

Regards

Bill 

I had the same problem once, flat front tyre.

The only place I could get the jack under the car was so far back the rear wheel lifted off first and I had to prop the car under the chassis with blocks of wood so I could move the jack far enough forward to lift the front end.

All in all a right PITA, but at least it was daylight and not raining unlike when I got a puncture in SWMBO's  new Fiesta a few months ago!

Neil