Prep for the Euro trip

Preparing for our 3 week Euro trip this coming Friday - replaced the near side halfshaft as there was too much play in the splines (so just in case) and started packing the spares in the boot and around the car:

61517760_10214304379698582_2318490695762

61489823_10214304382898662_7443725756204

61523635_10214304382738658_3974227264412

61939651_10214304382458651_4050940079013

Cheers, Andrew

6 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Andrew, one of your break shoe clips is wrong. It needs to be turned 180 degrees. 

I soldered mine, since they became loose. 

Jochem

Hi Jochem

Thats a interesting one, I'm not saying your wrong,  but I have always installed the clips pointing the same way, although they point in the opposite direction to those on Andrews car.  I looked on Buckeye Triumphs and they intall them pointing the same way.  Is there a right way?

Andrew have a great trip.

Roger

Yes Neil is correct just checked in the Bentley manual.  Learnt something today so will have another job to do next week. Interestingly the Haynes manual has a seperate spring and retainer washer, can't get that the wrong way round.

Roger

2 hours ago, Rogcastle said:

Hi Sean

The way I read para 14  it says the open end of the spring should lead in the direction of the wheel rotation which makes Neil right!

Roger

Hi Roger,

Depends what "lead in the direction of" actually means. Does it mean that the open end should face towards the direction of rotation or face away from? The picture clearly shows the front clip with the open end upwards so either the words are unclear or the picture is wrong. I genuinely don't know. I currently have mine with the open end of the front clip upwards but I'm very happy to be corrected.

Best,

Sean 

The clips can be pushed off if they are hit during driving by something, similar as with a chain link on a motorbike drive chain, where the closed end of the U-clip should face towards the direction of movement.

Waldi

Just as a precaution, bring a set Spitfire RL1350 with you...

It will be very easy to note when the break clips are loose. You will hear squeaking and rattling while driving. Breaking is still possible. Worst thing can happen is the clip settling between drum and pad....that will leave a mark in the drum. 

I soldered the pin onto the clip. Just a safety. 

Jochem

I followed this debate on the correct orientation of brake shoe clips with interest. Frankly over 48 years I have never bothered which way round I fitted them, provided the  pins were correctly located and could not be dislodged.  I must be missing something - the drum is rotating about the fixed back plate and brake assembly and is maintaining the shoes in position, what force is there to dislodge a securely retained clip whichever way round it is fitted? I can see that it could be problematic if a clip assembly component were to come loose and part of it interfere with the function of a critical component but at a pinch wouldn't the brakes function perfectly well without any hold down kits?

I'm sure this isn't #an Emperor's New Clothes moment and am prepared to be shot down in flames.

Tim

11 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

I followed this debate on the correct orientation of brake shoe clips with interest. Frankly over 48 years I have never bothered which way round I fitted them, provided the  pins were correctly located and could not be dislodged.  I must be missing something - the drum is rotating about the fixed back plate and brake assembly and is maintaining the shoes in position, what force is there to dislodge a securely retained clip whichever way round it is fitted? I can see that it could be problematic if a clip assembly component were to come loose and part of it interfere with the function of a critical component but at a pinch wouldn't the brakes function perfectly well without any hold down kits?

I'm sure this isn't #an Emperor's New Clothes moment and am prepared to be shot down in flames.

Tim

The 10" Brake shoe combination as fitted to TR2/3A doesnt have hold down pins but instead has adjustable bolt in pins with a felt pad on the end same as the Healey setup this holds the shoes in the correct orientation to the drum so its an open debate as to the worth of the clips.

Stuart.

28 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

Tim

+1

I did not realise that they needed to point in the direction of rotation.   I imagine mine are an assortment of options. They have never come off or worked loose.

Can we add this to the list of GB/OD oil, Hubs or CV, etc etc

Roger

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

Hi Roger,

Depends what "lead in the direction of" actually means. Does it mean that the open end should face towards the direction of rotation or face away from? The picture clearly shows the front clip with the open end upwards so either the words are unclear or the picture is wrong. I genuinely don't know. I currently have mine with the open end of the front clip upwards but I'm very happy to be corrected.

Best,

Sean 

Hi Sean

The picture is right for the right hand side of the car and wrong for the left hand side if  you see what I mean.

Roger

Hi Andrew,

sorry, I have no permission to read your post.

What I wanted to do is to lead this unfortune discussion back to your intetion: your Europa trip.

Because in my opinion the direction of the clip does not mater at all. BTW: on the Volkswagen beetle they are round cylinders - good for no discussion.

Folks, please don't be angry with me: this is "druid knowledge", you better trow rabbit bones.

Ciao, Marco