A neat trick I have discovered.

Why buy "Sand / Grit blast media" Cheapest on ebay (inc postage) £16 per 25Kg
when you can buy "Kiln dried sand" £4.50 per 25 Kg from local builders merchants.

It works very well in both my dry air sand blast cabinet, & with my wet pressure washer attachment.

Bob.

Agree. That's about all I use these days.  I have to screen it, though, when I first fill the tank, else the occasional large pebbles will clog the nozzle.  I usually blast on a large tarp and recycle the sand. This brings the cost of the media to almost zero.

Ed

4 hours ago, Lebro said:

Why buy "Sand / Grit blast media" Cheapest on ebay (inc postage) £16 per 25Kg
when you can buy "Kiln dried sand" £4.50 per 25 Kg from local builders merchants.

Hi Bob and Ed,

blasting with sand is not recommended because it can cause serious harm to the lungs, but I guess you are aware of this.

The fine quartz dust can result in Silicosis.

In the Netherlands it is forbidden for this reason.

Regards,

Waldi

Waldi.

For dry blasting I do it in a sealed cabinet, & the "media" gets re-cycled. A vacuum cleaner is attached to the vent port to suck (& filter) the fine dust created.

When wet blasting using a pressure hose the media is lost (I usually do it on my lawn where it disapears into the soil), & being wet there is no dust.

Ed.

No lumps in the stuff I get it is extremly fine sand intended for brushing inbetween paving slabs, etc.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Yes, for silica based sand, respirator is a must.

Bob--OK, that fine, very uniform stuff for filling in paving here is called silica sand.  It works great for blasting.  The stuff I have to screen is cheaper, around $3 for a 60 lb bag, I think.  In bulk, I think it's less than $20 a ton.

Ed