Water Pump Lubrication

I would like  check and lubricate my Water Pump as described in the "Brown Book". In the maintenance section it shows an illustration of the pump (presumable looking from the top),  and says...."remove the plug (item 2) and fit a suitable grease nipple to inject the grease". 

I don`t seem to have this plug anywhere on the water pump housing unless its hidden underneath? Am I missing something here?

Cheers, Colin.

Maybe you have a replacement pump that is not serviceable Colin?

Well thanks for all the comments, I dont`t have loss of water, nor overheating or any other water related problems, so guess i will just forget about it till sometime  goes wrong - correct?

C/

On our recent trip to Scotland one of the chaps had his waterpump fail without any form of warning, no noises, no water loss when we made a brief stop and less then a mile up the road it sounded like a bag of nails. On inspection the bearing had failed, I suspect a ball or roller had broken up.

A similar thing happened to my Land Rover Defender some years ago, so as pumps are cheap and easy to change we had a spare in our travel kit (more by luck then judgement), three quarters of an hour later we were on our way!

George 

Well doesn't that prove the point

On a group trip we combine our spares,

i.e. One guy carries a fuel pump, one a water pump one a starter and one a dynamo, course these are for the four cylinder cars, plus all ignition stuff, leads, coil, distributor cap, points and condensor (All proved before the trip) mounted on a spare points plate carrier.

As above, you can be on your way before a recovery truck arrives.

John.

Fair enough Z320, I had no grounds for my statement really. From new my 4A had a pump with grease nipple that received the recommended attention. It lasted 12 years, springing a leak just before the Club Triumph 1978 Round Britain Reliability Run, which I entered with the late Paul Howell as co-driver (once the temporary custodian of OVC 276). Unfortunately the new pump I fitted failed in the Highlands. I had no spare and no chance of finding one at 18.00 on a Saturday evening so we came home by AA Relay. The pump was subsequently replaced under warranty by the supplying BL dealer. Ever since then I have a carried a spare but I haven't needed it, the 1978 replacement is still going strong! However, my spare has helped out two other TR drivers on events over the years. Just a reminder, if your existing pump is the type with a removable pulley and  you carry a spare with a non-removable pulley be sure your pump is fitted on three studs, if not the original bolt BH506241 securing the pump to the housing cannot be fitted! 

Tim

A water pump can make noises like from a broken bearing,

if you use by accident a standard washer (not solid enough) under the nut of the pulley....

With the new water pump you get a solid washer again and it seems like you repaired the pump by changing it, but it is due to the new solid washer.