Headlamp Flasher on a TR4

On the Works' TR4s, the headlamp flasher is operated by a momentary action switch with a stalk of about 100mm. The switch is mounted to the top left of the speedo position, just to the right of the centre console with the 4 instruments. With this length of stalk, the switch is conveniently close to the fingers of my left hand, and it requires only some 3mm movement in any direction to flash the lamps.  I had never seen any other of such a switch until, some 15 years ago, Neil Revington told me he had found a source, and he offers the switch RTR8453 with his Logic Overdrive device. He has also a version with a shorter (40mm) stalk, RTR8436.

I have mounted an RTR8453 on the right of the steering column in place of the conventional TR4 overdrive wand, operating Logic Overdrive. Here, I don't have to move my right hand on the wheel to engage/disengage overdrive.

Ian Cornish

The carbuildersolutions switch, suggested by Mike, looks very much like the switch which I was describing, although I couldn't be sure without having a feel!

Ian Cornish

Hi John,

I have a similar set-up to others, above - a "momentary on/off" switch on the dash pointing at my left hand (LHD car, obviously).

However, if I remember correctly (and I may not) the Vitesse, and probably the GT6, has a column switch which is both a dip/main switch (up/down) and a headlamp flash (pull).  Assuming I'm right (don't hold your breath) and that they are available, you should be able to fairly easily make this an OD on/off switch (up/down) as well as flash (pull).

Hope that is helpful!

Tim

I know mine is a 3 but the principal is the same. 

Momentary flash switch is the top one in this pic

and it appears to have been there at least 45/47 years !! As has the vacuum gauge !

04BBF279-3771-4520-82BD-C768CCFEB551.jpeg

DAC0D48D-7568-4B00-872C-00763C20B4E8.jpeg

878B832A-A084-43F2-8BA6-9458EE5386B4.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Added pic
18 minutes ago, Z320 said:

TR4 has no headlight flash? My TR4A has this by pulling the light switch gently.

Or do I understand somethink wrong about "headlight switch"?

No, TR4 doesnt have one. Also the dip/main selector is a footswitch.

On the TR4A the dip switch is also a footswitch.

For headlight flash you can use the light switch of a TR4A or TR250/5 on your TR4.

There are aviable with 4 cables, then the flasher only works when the light on (internal voltage supply in the switch).

And others with 5 cables, you can decide how to connect, can also work with light off with cable 5 on +12 V (12 V external on the switch).

Had a closer look on this some years ago because my light switch is from a Spitfire and caused me some trouble (had to make an internal bridge)

Edited by Z320
23 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

Shows that I cant remember my 4a (but then that was over 25 years ago). I thought they had a column switch that selected side, dip or main. 

T

They do Tim. Although quite a few dont work as a headlamp flash as the contacts bend in use

Stuart.

John,

Sometime ago there was an article in TR Action which showed how to use a left hand drive overdrive switch, fitted in the steering wheel cowel as a headlight dip switch on a 4A with the addition of a relay. As said earlier the 4A light switch includes a headlight flash function.

Graham