Why is it doing this?

Long story (there’s a post way back) but in short what it’s doing now is starting, running on 4, blip throttle, backfires both ends, back carb starts flooding.

In getting to where we are everything obvious has been tried and everything that could go wrong has.

yes there is fuel, yes there is spark, no the timing isn’t out. Yes I have replaced the float chamber jets. Yes the carbs were set up properly. Yes the plugs were replaced and are not faulty (unlike the previous set of new plugs).

It’s a mystery and it’s getting on my nerves

Thank goodness the 6 works

JJC

If one of the carbs is flooding then:

1) float level set too high

2) needle valve leaking

3) fuel pump pressure too high causing 2 above

Bob.

Bob might be 1 but unlikely as float level checked when fitting new valve.  Why does it wait until after backfire to start flooding? If 2 then new valve supplier will get an earful, but see 1 above. 3 it’s a TR4 I should be so lucky! But if it was, front carb would suffer. 

Current plan is carb dismantle.

JJC

It backfires because it is flooded and fuel is building up in the venturi, it usually starts at the rear carb. Check if the oil level in the dampers is correct (engine oil Ok) 

Still using the original plastic floats? Perhaps one is damaged and a switch to the "stay up" nylophyl type may be in order. Also, what type of float needle are you using?

Edited by Andy303

Yes, the thought suggested to me is to compare the weights of the floats. They look like original floats so might be past it. What’s really annoying is that I paid to have the carbs rebuilt when I put the car back together. JJC