Rear inner wing repair

Hi Guys,

Just getting into restoring my recently acquired 1966 TR4A, last on the road in 1984.

Rebuilt the B posts, usual problem of rotting around the seat belt anchor points previously plated, messy!. Now starting to sort out the rear deck forward section, centre section and rear section where they join the inner wing. Again messy where back in the day  previous repairs were completed by brazing new edge return pieces over the rusty original parts without cutting back the rust. This area can be corrected  by making new folded edge pieces and but welding into place. Difficult but doable.

However the top of the inner wing where it is dog legged again has been left with rusty ragged edges at the top and just plated over. The top of the inner wing has to cut off to remove this mess. 

The problem is the replacement dog leg piece to be made is not parallel but tapering from about 3/4 to 0 inch along the offset. Very difficult to make. Any ideas?

Thanks 

Rich

Hi Rich, I'm just buying a 4A so will soon be following in your footsteps, photos along the way would be helpful.

"the replacement dog leg piece to be made is not parallel but tapering from about 3/4 to 0 inch along the offset."  is likewise difficult to visualise  because the parts diagram (if I'm looking at the right piece) illustrates it not tapering.  And a dog leg cannot have been folded without having a flange clamped in the press.  This would imply your has been cut down at some time to allow that rear wing to sit lower.  Is the other side the same. ? 

if however this taper is correct - then the only practical thing to do is to make the repair piece oversize and then to either trim the piece you make to size, or else accept an additional overlapped panel joint hidden away under there.

Pete

Edited by Bfg
5 hours ago, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Just getting into restoring my recently acquired 1966 TR4A, last on the road in 1984.

Rebuilt the B posts, usual problem of rotting around the seat belt anchor points previously plated, messy!. Now starting to sort out the rear deck forward section, centre section and rear section where they join the inner wing. Again messy where back in the day  previous repairs were completed by brazing new edge return pieces over the rusty original parts without cutting back the rust. This area can be corrected  by making new folded edge pieces and but welding into place. Difficult but doable.

However the top of the inner wing where it is dog legged again has been left with rusty ragged edges at the top and just plated over. The top of the inner wing has to cut off to remove this mess. 

The problem is the replacement dog leg piece to be made is not parallel but tapering from about 3/4 to 0 inch along the offset. Very difficult to make. Any ideas?

Thanks 

Rich

The first return on the top of the inner wing is usually OK its the next upright bit thats normally gone, when repairing them I normally use a piece of angle and sit it on top and then grind down to the taper once its welded on. Then drill the bolt holes.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 299.jpg

Marks TR5 297.jpg

Marks TR5 300.jpg

Marks TR5 301.jpg

Hi Stuart, thanks for the reply. What your suggesting is how I had originally planned to undertake the repair, but unfortunately at the rear the horizontal has  corroded away so the top of the inner wing needs attention first. But yes I will do as you say but welding along the edge of the new upright  feels me with trepidation as welding old to new on such a length always is difficult,  or I just my welding technique!!

Here is a picture of my car. Its a 1966 TR4A. Been off the road since 1984 when it last MOt'd then dry stored. Clearly some restoration work, mainly paint stripping, has been done at some time during the last 35 years, but the messy repair work was probably done in the 70/80's when our cars were not worth much. Generally its in pretty good shape except the B posts and the what I have described.

Thanks Rich

IMG_2688.JPG