My wifes saggy crash pads

Good afternoon sixers.

I have owned TR6's since 1976 and have always had problems with getting the under dash centre pair of crash pads firmly held in situ

On a recent 600 mile trip to Cornwall my wife gave me severe ear ache on the hour every hour as the rearward clips of the crash pads ( the end that clips to centre H frame) kept departing from their rightful position.

Is it just my wife who has thesed problems ?

has anyone experienced similar issues and managed to provide a working solution that holds the items firmly in place ?

Cheers

2 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Hello KOB,

sounds familiar!! I had the same problem. 

I stopped bringing my wife along. Try that. 

Ear ache was gone immediately!

Jochem

Jochem!

You are a real bad guy!

:ph34r:

The title of this thread is misleading.

its about cars. ?!?!?

:o:D:ph34r:

Kob  whilst I hate to reduce the jocularity of the responses to your post, l  had exactly the same problem and solved it by putting a self tapping screw in the opposite end of the panel to fix it to the gbox tunnel . I've also seen the panels screwed to the H frame and even Velcro used to fix the far end of the panel to the carpet

If the kidney panel cards are stiff and the end nearest the firewall is fixed to something they should not move. I actually dont know how they were attached by the factory but I made up a couple of sheet metal brackets that are screwed into the poly gearbox tunnel aka doghouse and each pad is attached to a bracket using a chrome trim screw and cup washer. An easy way to restore matrimonial harmony.

Stan

I had the same problem so I made up a flat steel bar bracket that stretched between the two panels and screwed them with cockpit type screws with cups. I’m in the process of sorting the interior out and will probably try to screw this steel bracket to the gearbox tunnel whilst I’m in there to add to the strength. I will also be remaking the kidney panels out of sturdier plywood. I made my last ones that were OK but I only did them from hardboard. 

Rog

You need a younger model KOB they don't tend to sag as much!

21 hours ago, PodOne said:

Great advise, I will have a word !!!

So its a problem that many of us have or have had in the past.

Thank you for all who took my post with the seriousness it deserves

Its velcro time...................thank goodness for the NASA development engineers

Happy motoring guys.

23 hours ago, PodOne said:

The trade in is bl@@dy expensive tho !!!

That reminds me of a Jackie Mason joke "I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas", she said "A Divorce", I said "I wasn't thinking of spending that much"....