When Coventry went to Le Mans

Impressive recent offering from those talented cinematographers at Petrolicious. 

Always had an admiring eye for the lines of the early XKs, and here’s a particularly iconic example: one of three works cars Jaguar prepared for the 1950 Le Mans.

Nice family story behind this one too.

Cheers, Deggers

I wonder if the low flying aircraft was  Jaguar, any one identify it? How coincidental?

Styled like the 3a with similarly floppy rev counter!!!!

Curious that the tachometer runs anti-clockwise - I've not seen that before.

What glorious roads with sweeping bends and hils and dales, ideal for a car such as this.  Where might this be (Scotland, perhaps)?

Ian Cornish

11 hours ago, ianc said:

Where might this be (Scotland, perhaps)?

Morning Ian, cracking drive isn't it. Though not much to go on by way of road signs in this film.

However, pausing at the tea rooms en route, the sign reads "Goodbrand & Ross - opening times".

TeaRos1.thumb.jpg.28ca858e4992b27f5d8a312964984535.jpg

Google finds them doing a roaring trade on the A939 Tomintoul to Strathdon road, in the Cairngorms National Park (with a 4.5 star rating on Trip Advisor, and an impressive walnut cake and orange sponge, apparently :)).

Scotland it is, then . . . and a new addition to several 'Epic Drives' bucket lists, I'd wager.

StrathScot1.thumb.jpg.917f69c3488c582d8d10e6d63fdb56e9.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Excellent detective work, Deggers!  Thanks very much.

Epic drive with an excellent tea room with tip-top cakes - bliss!

Ian Cornish

On 5/30/2019 at 8:43 AM, Rodbr said:

I wonder if the low flying aircraft was  Jaguar, any one identify it? How coincidental?

Styled like the 3a with similarly floppy rev counter!!!!

Hi Rodders, sadly its wasn't a SEPECAT Jaguar that flies over  the car but Eurofighter Typhoon.  A very good film though. makes me want to take my TR up there for a blast on empty open roads. 

hoges 

That's the road we use most years to go to the Grantown-on-Spey Motormania show.  A whole convoy of TRs, & yes the scenery is that good.  Includes the Cock Bridge to Tomintoul road, usually the first to be closed by snow, just don't get stuck behind a wee modern car on the Lecht hills.

(Sorry ed, not it is not, rain, snow, traffic jams - anything to keep the road quiet & off the Epic Drives list  :lol: )

• 9 months later...

I am really impressed with the quality of the film-making. It is not a "video", it's a proper short film.

Conveys so well what more there is. What motoring tradition means. Little to do with economic value, market value, all to do with cultural value. Social value. Puts into words and suggests through the shots, the yearning for a diffefent, intangible, sort of beauty.

There is just one sidescreen TR short thst is as memorable. But not as substantial.

Makes me really want to drive there. What a place. What sweeping roads. What scenery. 

Brilliant! Really enjoyed it all and his Dad's car too. I have searched most of my life trying to locate my Dad's MK11 Signal Red Vitesse convertible but with no Registration a lost cause much to my regret.

Thanks for sharing Deggers

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter