Hi all,

fellow group member apart from his TR, has a bond equipe.

Gearbox is now in major need of TLC, and thinking a good secondhand box, (D type) Overdrive

might be the way to go.

So to aid searching, what else used this box and overdrive, and point me at a trusty trader to perhaps supply a warranted second hand unit?

Cheers,

John.

If it is a 2 Litre Bond then -

Vitesse 2 Litre (Mk1), Vitesse 2 Litre Mk2, GT6 Mk1/2/3 and very early Dolomite 1850, 1972.

Not Herald or Spitfire or Vitesse 6 (1600).

Mike Papworth is well known re-builder of these gearboxes and I believe a TR member.

Dave

3 hours ago, DaveR said:

If it is a 2 Litre Bond then -

Vitesse 2 Litre (Mk1), Vitesse 2 Litre Mk2, GT6 Mk1/2/3 and very early Dolomite 1850, 1972.

Not Herald or Spitfire or Vitesse 6 (1600).

Mike Papworth is well known re-builder of these gearboxes and I believe a TR member.

Dave

+1, if the Bond is a 2 litre. If it's a small 4 cylinder version, then an overdrive Spitfire box will do the job.

Whichever version, core stock of Triumph gearboxes is getting short. Best advice is probably to get the existing box and O/D refurbished.

Mike P knows the small Triumph transmissions well.

Nigel

10 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

I used to have a Vitesse 6. I dont remember the gearbox being different from the 2L. Was it just ratios?

Tim, the Vitesse 6 gearbox wasn't considered to be strong enough for the 2 Litre engine and was reworked to take the increase in power/torque. It's still a close ratio box, but the insides are different. Synchro on first gear is one of the differences.

TSSC Vitesse Reg Sec.

Dave 

Edited by DaveR
23 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

I used to have a Vitesse 6. I dont remember the gearbox being different from the 2L. Was it just ratios?

Vitesse 6 didn't have synchro on 1st, and wider ratios than 2 litre cars. May also have been weaker in bearings too but don't know for sure.

Nigel

Thanks both (and apologies for the thread drift).

I don't remember my car having no synchro on first so maybe it had a 2L 'box.  Or maybe it's just so long ago that I don't remember properly...

do know that I had to rebuild it after every second rally...!

11 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Vitesse 6 didn't have synchro on 1st, and wider ratios than 2 litre cars. May also have been weaker in bearings too but don't know for sure.

Nigel

Yes, the Vitesse 6 box is weaker than the 2 Litre type hence its not advisable to use it on the 2 Litre. That why the factory ungraded it, lots of detailed changes. I can remember the gearbox being a problem if you rallied a Vitesse 6 back in the 1960's. Also unlike Fords there weren't many in the scrapyards where you could get a good box from. The Vitesse sold in small numbers when compared with the Ford models.

The ratios of first and reverse were wider on the Vitesse 6 box than the 2 litre type. 2nd and 3rd were the same on both boxes.

Dave

• 11 months later...

So need to resurrect this thread now as the box is stripped and declared Kaput!

So need to start looking for a replacement, overdrive seems fine, or will be with a swill.

Fleabay doesn't have much so any one any guidance?

John.