I just joined the club. I have an early Oct 68 built TR6, now RHD. It is currently fitted with 195 section tyres on minilite alloys, which seem a little over tyre'd to me. I see on the heritage cert it was originally fitted with 185 Redline tyres on wires. I guess these are no longer available? Which is thought to be the best tyre currently available for the Tr6?

Regards, Richard

Welcome to the club and TR ownership. 

As you mentioned the car has been converted to RHD and was listed as having 185's, then it's likely the final drive is different to the UK cars and is the reason why 185's were fitted instead of the 165's that UK cars would have used. 

It is possible to get 185's, search for 185/80 x 15 tyres, some are really expensive, but I think there are other alternatives. 

The other option is to covert the diff to UK spec (this may have already been done if it's running 195 tyres - what is the ratio of those tyre's, 65?). 

Gareth

Hi Richard,

There are various pedestrian tyres available in the 185-15 size original to the U.S. market cars with 3.7:1 final drive. Performance ones are expensive but also available - if your TR6 has been brought to " 150 " BHP since its repatriation to the UK you might consider the Michelin XVS in that size or the XAS in 180-15. Dunlop still offer their vintage SP Sport tyre with the iconic AquaJet tread in V speed rating.  If U.S. spec there are redlines from COKER or Universal Tire in the original size.

For 3.45:1 final drive: 195/65 tyres are smaller in diameter than the 165-15s fitted to the injected cars ( though not much ). 185/70-15 are spot on but choices are few for these, Vredestein or the 186 MPH Michelin XWX as I have on my driver ( I love them! ).

Cheers,

Tom

Hi I have been looking for a good 185/70/15 tyre for a while. This is the correct rolling radius for CP cars but the best options are expensive. That said I have just been quoted by my local tyre company for a new brand "Radar"  which are made in Singapore.

The price was £100 each fitted. 

Cheers. Laurence. 

195/65 are very close to the original 165/80 in rolling radius. I have 195/65 Michelins on my 4A on 6” Minilite replicas. We are driving from Melbourne to Perth for the National Rally later this year. I will refit a set of 185/80 Hankooks before we go. That will raise the gearing by about 7% which is equivalent to going from a 3.7 diff to a 3.45 but cheaper! The 185s give slightly lighter steering and a better ride but slightly slower acceleration. 

I'm quite happy with Pirelli 195/65R15 P6 Cinturato's. They perform well and look good.

Because they fit many modern cars the price is reasonable- many if not most  TR6 tyres  should be replaced because of age long before they are worn out, hence for me changeover cost is a factor in tyre selection.