Lever arm drop links

Hi All,

I recently purchased a pair of rear lever arm drop links & I'm interested in the forums opinion about the quality of construction. Se attached photos of new v original. There is a gap where the shaft attaches to the ball joint. I'm concerned at the reduction in diameter at this point will effect strength & also that this will cause a stress raiser. The other concern is the ball itself does not encircle the rubber in the same way as the original. Ive contacted the supplier who say they have sold upto 20 of these without any complaints, however they have offered a refund. I guess OEM ones are not available now but does anyone stock a better an alternative that more replicates the original design.

Thanks

Alan 

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

They are actually meant to be stronger than the original but the quality of modern rubber is a concern and yes rubber do fail after 2-3 years but I've never heard of the ball popping out of the housing. The alternative would be trying something similar to the TR4 design

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.04.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.04.30 PM.png

9 minutes ago, Geko said:

They are actually meant to be stronger than the original but the quality of modern rubber is a concern and yes rubber do fail after 2-3 years but I've never heard of the ball popping out of the housing. The alternative would be trying something similar to the TR4 design

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.04.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.04.30 PM.png

Unfortunately that wont fit the trailing arm.

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

Hi Alan,

Try Marco on here. He makes a much better option.

Graham

Hi Graham,

thanks for that, indeed I made and sold some oft them, but at the moment I have no time to make them.

P1250184-b.JPG.bb4e45151380b14a6e7bfd0795c603e8.JPG

So I can only recommend to Alan to try the uprated Rimmer ones, to me they seem to be very solid.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Everyone

Thanks for he replies, as always, this forum offers excellent support! I've had a good look at my originals & the rubber doesn't seem too bad (its as good as the repro rubber). I will clean them up & refit. Worse case, they quite easy to replace later. Im just not confident with the repro ones.

Thanks

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Picture say it all, rubber was pushed out the uneven hole when under pressure. Replaced with better quality ones. 

I was dubious about the welded joint, so I put the ball end in the vice and bent the link forward and  it snapped straight off. 

I'll try and find invoice for replacements. 

Edited by Mark69

Funnily enough the Rimmer ones are exactly the same as the rear Antiroll bar drop links on my Volvo!

Stuart.

Thats exactly the failure I was afraid of in my original post. I cleaned my original ones up & are in the process of refitting them.

Its scary that these sort of things are allowed to go on sale, especially where safety is at stake. Its not the first time I've been caught out with repro parts. Although not as critical, a Lucas fuel pump overhaul kit I purchased was next to useless - motor brushes incorrect orientation,springs different length & 2 self tapper supplied when threaded fixing are original.

Alan