Rocker cover orientation

Hi,

I have always presumed the rocker cover should be fitted with the filler at the front of the engine. A friend of mine is rebuilding a 3B engine and asked me why I have the filler at the front? His is at the rear which I presumed wrong, every photo I've seen shows the filler at the front so I thought. However in Roger Williams book How to Improve TR2-4 there are pictures showing the filler at the rear of the engine, also in the Moss catalogue.

Does it make any difference? Are there any technical reasons for this?

The only reason I can think of to have the filler at the front is more headroom when filling with oil. 

As Tom says I think the pressed metal rocker covers (chromed etc) were shaped to take into account of the rocker pedestals ( higher) so they only fit one way  And that the 3 variations (possibly early 4) were shaped with the oil filler to the front and the later 4 pots filler to the rear.

some 3’s now have later 4 heads which could affect this. 

The Ali rocker covers are squared off.

Edited by Hamish
Correction

Late 3B`s have the filler at the rear as per TR4 as they had a lot of TR4 parts fitted to them

Stuart.

5 hours ago, iain said:

? Rear hinges bonnets had front oil filler. ? Front hinge bonnets have rear fillers?

Iain

+1 

Except for all the bits from TR4 used up on TR3B.

Peter W

Presumably, the original logic in front filler/rear hinges versus rear filler/front hinges

is that there's more headroom/better accessability for oil topping up in that configuration.

Or am I stating the bleeding obvious??

However, whatever way around the filler cap is on an ally type rocker cover, they are not

reversible, as the 2 x cover stud holes are offset in the head.Of course, this did not stop

some worthy individual fitting one to my TR2 by judiscious bending of both studs.He also

had painted it Chevy orange, which gives a clue as to where this crime originated!

Roger M-E

That's my understanding too, they are not reversible and are profiled to suit the rocker shaft studs. I also can't think of a good reason why the filler was moved aft other than to miss the lower front hinging TR4 bonnet and be easier to get at. It's very close to the bonnet on a side screen car, mine still has evidence of a dent from the days when the body mounts had rotted away.