fitting new distributor

Hi all

Plan was to send old dizzy to Martin AKA Distributor Dr and use the accuspark for the waiting period and have as backup.

So fitted the accuspark and think I have done something wrong.  If you look at the picture its way over too far clockwise for Rev cable and also the advance tube, so having a feeling I have done something a bit silly/wrong.

I used the crank mark and a screwdriver for TDC on cyl 1 and then made sure the distributor cap pointed at cyc1.  

See picture, paints a thousand words.

NB:  Not got as far as trying to time yet, so stopped here.

Rich

accuspark1.jpg

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi Rich,

don;t forget that when the dizzy is pushed into place the rotor will rotate away from the original setting position.

So you need to start with thew rotor NOT aligned with #1 plug - it needs to be a little anti CW to get aligned when finished.

Roger

hi Roger

Just ran downstairs and moved all leads one along and put into what i'd call a more natural position.  Car starts but its a bit rough.

I tried a strobe and cant see anything, do i need to scratch a bit the indent or is it because I am outside?

Thanks for assisting this uber-rookie.

Rich

Hi

so I figured how to set timing etc . . and for a uber-learner this was a big achievement!  Anyway, set to about 14BTDC with new dizzy and with vacuum advance plumbed in it drives like rocket now!  Its like adding a turbo and the acceleration is like +20%!!!

I always thought it was a sluggish car ... but now, its really performing great.  Wondering if still worth sending old dizzy to Dist Dr.

Rich

Hi Rich,

figuring out yourselves, with some hints from the forum (Roger as often) is very rewarding, isn’t it?

If you hear pinking, it may need a bit retarding, if not, just keave it as it is.

Having a reconditioned spare dizzy is nice, but for me not a necessity. Think that’s a personal choise.

Waldi

15 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Wondering if still worth sending old dizzy to Dist Dr.

Rich

Yes definitely worth doing. I fit them to every car I do.

Stuart.