Selling your TR6?? then don't list with a 99p start price !

Same old story - a proliferation  of clearly fraudulent cars on E bay at the moment ! I normally report them as when I see them but I'm losing the will ! ( there are only so many hours one can fritter away surfing the net......)  Come on E bay surely you make enough cash to be able to set up a logarithm to spot these adds ? !  

Another hacked eBay account. Saw the same the other week with golf gear.

Easy to spot but some will get conned.

Dave

I’ve probably reported 15 TRs from a bogus seller this morning.

hopefully the account will be closed.

Also meant Algorithm   (Benford Law ?) - 15 years in IT and I still need aversion therapy .......  I've done the same Hamish, so hopefully should be removed soon 

Yes surely it is possible to check these automatically. The scammers must be doing it by some sort of a program as the seller usually has hundreds of listings.

I always report them until the listings are removed. 

Also been reporting them for years. Very frustrating that the AI system on eBay cannot pick em up. They are fairly obvious even if you don't know anything about the cars. 

If it doesn't get pulled by eBay I guess whoever finally wins the auction will probably be asked to provide a deposit.

Then you will never hear from them again!!

I't not just the fraudulent sales.

It just cheeses me off when people set a starting price below their reserve.  If the bids don't reach a selling price you have wasted other people's time.

The same as "call to enquire". You are selling it, you know what you want, why waste potential buyers' and your own time on phone calls to find out there is a difference between the buyer's and seller's valuation. If I won't pay more than £50 I won't bother enquiring if the selling price is £200.

8 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

I't not just the fraudulent sales.

It just cheeses me off when people set a starting price below their reserve.  If the bids don't reach a selling price you have wasted other people's time.

The same as "call to enquire". You are selling it, you know what you want, why waste potential buyers' and your own time on phone calls to find out there is a difference between the buyer's and seller's valuation. If I won't pay more than £50 I won't bother enquiring if the selling price is £200.

Completely agree with the "call to enquire" comment but reserve prices and low start prices are an excellent method of generating interest.

You get people hooked with the potential of a bargain and then hope they get into a bidding war.

I have seen this in practice.  About 10 years ago I had a car advertised for £700 or near offer (hoping to get £500) in local papers, Loot etc and had no luck so threw it on ebay with a £100 start price and £500 reserve.  It sold for £1350 in the end. 

As an EBay Seller, it also cheeses me off,  they are amazing quickly onto you if they get a sniff that you may be arranging something privately with a Buyer. And it really is usually over a matter of pence and a few pounds  !!  I have been barred from eBay  for a week , when someone sent me their phone number. !!  How come they monitor something as small as that, But let the scammers run riot. ??

Go for the big Fish  EBAY , whoever you are.  !!!

Conrad.

1 hour ago, openroad said:

As an EBay Seller, it also cheeses me off,  they are amazing quickly onto you if they get a sniff that you may be arranging something privately with a Buyer. And it really is usually over a matter of pence and a few pounds  !!  I have been barred from eBay  for a week , when someone sent me their phone number. !!  How come they monitor something as small as that, But let the scammers run riot. ??

Go for the big Fish  EBAY , whoever you are.  !!!

Conrad.

True, I have reported ads on eBay that clearly was a scam, just to observe that it took days to remove it. Strange, as the result of such scams potentially could leave buyers huge sums out of pocket.

At the same time I have ended auctions and sold items privately, but with no evidence that this happened. Still I then get warning mails from eBay telling me off for this with “we are watching you” treats, this despite that at least 99% of my auctions go through as normal, they must spend a lot of time checking these petty issues instead of deleting the scam adverts.

Clearly they have not much worry about buyers potentially losing thousands, as long as eBay earns their pounds.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks